Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 566

Amused

***Update***
JPEG file (26MB)
http://www.keisi.net/Minecraft/togmap.jpg
Zipped BMP file (8MB for the zip, it generates a 1.1GB BMP)
http://www.keisi.net/Minecraft/togmap.zip

Just FYI I have been working on a (at present) Windows PC based map generator.

I have just successfully generated my first TOG creative server map image file (thanks to Thermal for providing me with the map data) and I am uploading it to my web host.

The image is an overhead view, minus trees, tracks, etc at present. It is basically an overhead of ground level. It is a windows bitmap file format (I know, not ideal, and I will generate something else later) and is 36MB in size.

The map is 1 bit per block with a particular color palette. Most of it is obvious - though the brown for dirt looks more reddish than brown.

The map currently has 332,999 chunks and takes about 90 minutes to generate at present (down from 180 minutes at my first try) on my reasonably up to date laptop.

Any comments on the map contents are appreciated, but it seems pretty accurate as far as I can tell. I will post a link when it is finally uploaded.
Cheers,
Cheith.

PS: from looking at some newer maps it would seem that Notch's terrain generation algorithm has some new 'features' and some new generated chunks do not always seem to have the borders between terrain types that you would expect.

Last edited by Cheith; 4th January 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Cheith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd January 2011, 06:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

His terrain generation algorithm is 1 nice piece of work, whether its his creation or that of another code, its quite a nice utility

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Amused

Link for map bitmap:
http://www.keisi.net/Minecraft/togmap.bmp
Cheers,
C.
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeTails View Post
His terrain generation algorithm is 1 nice piece of work, whether its his creation or that of another code, its quite a nice utility
Actually, if you have an overhead map view of newer maps, you will see that it does some odd things these days for boundaries between sand and grasslands, for example. It is almost as though he has forgotten how his chunk coordinate system works. Coastlines are usually okay though.
C.
Old 3rd January 2011, 07:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Didn't you say it was 36MB? I just downloaded 1.1GB! I thought it was a bit slow
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Didn't you say it was 36MB? I just downloaded 1.1GB! I thought it was a bit slow
Oops, sorry, so it is. I must have looked at the wrong thing or something.
I will generate a jpeg later today or tomorrow.
C.

Here is a link for a windows zip file that is a lot smaller:

Last edited by Cheith; 3rd January 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Cheith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Lurking

Its a BMP file, BIT MAP, there is no compression, its more like a raw image format, JPG or PNG (slightly better compression) will give you a MUCH smaller file
The previous PNG by Mr Ions in PNG format is compressed, get the details of the image after it has been pulled into your favorite image viewer program, its actually quite HUGE

Actually, I thought 36M for a BMP file was either low res or a bit small, 1G sounds about right for the area of land we have

postcount=++
Old 4th January 2011, 04:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Amused

And finally the jpeg:
Cheers,
C.
Old 4th January 2011, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
***Update***
JPEG file (26MB)
Zipped BMP file (8MB for the zip, it generates a 1.1GB BMP)
I think from my perspective, this is acceptable

the data your using is quite old by now, North is up

I'd love to see the nice radial arc I have on the left of the map

postcount=++
Old 6th January 2011, 09:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 289

I wanted to download the map from my private server to something viewable on google maps. What program will convert the .dat to that format?

Rakshala is offline   Reply With Quote