TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th January 2011, 09:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshala View Post
I wanted to download the map from my private server to something viewable on google maps. What program will convert the .dat to that format?
https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th January 2011, 09:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 289

thank you!

Rakshala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 11:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

this might be one way to get a map back
Zoom.it ? Image nWWj
generated from
http://www.keisi.net/Minecraft/togmap.jpg
Old 19th January 2011, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Nice. A lot easier to download than the entire pic. I was a little confused by the FAQ for Zoom.it though. Would we just be able to change the image pointed to by the url we provide to them, or do we have to change the url and resubmit every time the map is updated? If so, can this be automated or does it become a weekly sort of thing to do?

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 01:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

We will have to play with it. I just saw it on the Minecraft forums
Old 19th January 2011, 03:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 560

Amused

I have also been working (occasionally) on a dynamic map viewer that would give a view of the last set of saved blocks on a server. It gives the same overhead view as the jpg, but loads a section of the map on demand. Currently a fixed 11 x 11 window onto it.

It is currently written in C#/asp.net but I will likely do a jsp version or similar soon just too see if I can do such a think. I would imagine it should be fairly easy to port.

http://www.keisi.net/minecraft/mapview.aspx is the current version and uses the same version of the map files as the jpg was generated from.
C.
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Any chance that I can get a copy of the current survival server data
(while it's not being used)

drop box, etc, whatever is easiest.

I'd like to try out some mapping programs that I've got.

Thanks!
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 04:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac.retox View Post
Any chance that I can get a copy of the current survival server data
(while it's not being used)
As in the main survival server or the test survival server? Either way, doesn't this go against the "rules" we established for survival servers, i.e no maps, warps other than tp, spawn and home :^)

If you want a small(ish) world to try against, then try using our creative world cut down to a 1000 block "border". Manuzza posted a copy of this a while ago. It will be out of date but good for testing.

Something to tide you over until the world is fixed...

Sorontar
Old 22nd January 2011, 05:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

strange, I posted this and it vanished!
sorry if it appears twice.

---

Hmm, I don't remember the rules, but I think I was overseas during that time.

Just some thoughts:
No maps. Cool, Encourages people to travel, explore and get lost (which is fun)
tp, home, spawn. Make exploring and wandering not really needed. If you're lost you just warp back to spawn/home. To travel around you just TP

Although I'm torn about seeing "the map" If possible, I'd still like to be able to get the data to try it out? I have a cool map rendering program and I want to see how it handles larger data.
Also, I'd like to look at the lay of the land and make an overlay for my area, etc.

Thanks for the link btw, but it seems to be broken!
(yes I was referring to the currently disabled world. ie the main world that has all our stuff on there)
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac.retox View Post
Hmm, I don't remember the rules, but I think I was overseas during that time.
They are not rules as such. They are the settings that Thermal Ions decided on (as DC) after consulting the community and his admins.
Discussion: Damage, Warps, Two Servers ...
I can't find Thermal's post of what his eventual decision was. Perhaps he only posted it to the admins.

Quote:
No maps
Quote:
. Cool, Encourages people to travel, explore and get lost (which is fun)
tp, home, spawn. Make exploring and wandering not really needed. If you're lost you just warp back to spawn/home. To travel around you just TP
I for one use spawn and home as a matter only of speed when there is a community issue that I need seeing to. I have gone wandering a number of times, got myself lost and found myself
having to find sanctuary through the night. Likewise, I have often had to protect myself on an island surrounded by monsters even though I was within sight of my home. Yes, /home or /spawn is the easy way out, but *I* choose not to use them and accept the risk (and frequently suffer for it). Simply having the limited warp abilities is not making exploration "not needed" for me. I still do them.

As for /tp, it has only limited advantages. A number of us helped Exe set up a large PvP area. There is no warp to it. At least one person must walk there. Only one building near there is heavily fortified against monsters. You cannot warp there. You must walk to there, or /tp to someone who is already there. You cannot (I beleive) use any warping abilities within the PvP area itself. I can tell you that it was very inconvenient
when trying to set up the fortifications and mark the fence of area when we knew that we had to rely on someone being in the forttified building, or else we could not return to the pvpv area on death. Only Exe knew how to walk there at the time.

So nothing about the settings of the Survival world makes things easy. But some of them do make community activites easier.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to look at the lay of the land and make an overlay for my area, etc.
I would love to do that myself, but I accept that it is far more in the spirit of the survival world to do it by hand. Perhaps the occassional map could be produced but I don't imagine that we will end up having one redrawn as frequently as we used to have the creative world.

Quote:
Thanks for the link btw, but it seems to be broken!
I forgot that Manuzza has moved home and had ISP issues. Can anyone else help Retox here?

Sorontar.