Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

All sound reasons for your chosen play style, my good fellow.
"spirit of the survival world to do it by hand"
All the more reason to not have warps! :P
save that for the creative server perhaps.
Makes big survival community things all the more impressive.

OR
Have warps, let people choose to use them
Have maps, let people choose to use them too :P

BUT
irrespective of all that, I wasn't asking for an official TOG map, just wondering if I could have a copy for my own private mapping.

If not, just let me know

Incidentally, The large pvp area is right next to my base. It's not THAT hard to get to :P
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd January 2011, 02:06 AM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I don't have a copy of the 1000 block creative world (or the survival world for that matter), but I do have a full version from just after the trim.

Address: ftp.thermal-ions.net
Username: public@thermal-ions.net
Password: <blank> (i.e. no password)

File is called world.7z (889 MB) - it's in 7zip format (p7zip if you're on linux).

Uncertain how fast it'll download but so long as no more than a dozen or so try to download it there should be sufficient bandwidth.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Quote:
All the more reason to not have warps! :P
As has been discussed before, we have a lot of people playing on the server, and we need to try and find a gameplay mode that suits as many people as we can. People are free not to use a /home or /spawn command if they don't want to, but for the people who want it, you can't use it if it's not there...

Allowing these does increase the social nature of the game, which is the main reason we play on the TOG server, otherwise we could just all play singleplayer and not interact in game at all.... Being able to /tp to someone means you can go check out what they are doing, go help them... go join in on epic cavern exploration etc.

Yes, being able to /home and drop off some of your stash and then /tp back and continue on might be considered by some as "cheating" - but it's making the game more enjoyable for those who don't particularly like dying with a stash of diamonds or getting lost somewhere you don't know when everyone logs off for the night. I know I wouldn't bother going off exploring with people or visiting friends (and I certainly wouldn't have gone to help make the PvP area) if I knew I couldn't get home again without dying and going back to spawn.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:38 PM   #34 (permalink)

Inspired

Not asking the server to change.
I was just making an friendly observation/deduction.
There is no right or wrong after all.

Quote:
I don't have a copy of the 1000 block creative world (or the survival world for that matter), but I do have a full version from just after the trim.
Thanks for this! I wasn't after the creative data, but I appreciate the effort none the less.

If the survival data is impossible to get, against the rules to share or whatever the case may be, that's fine. Don't want to step on everyone's toes here.
Old 23rd January 2011, 03:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Hardly anyone made any comment on having / not having a map render when the call for discussion happened. On re-browsing the responses I only noticed Cheith who didn't seem concerned either way at the time. I know there are some who have voiced opinions at times in chat/other theads that not having a map would add that little bit more "survival".

Personally, I'm not fussed either way. Given how the world has developed with people making their own bases/forts I wonder whether not having a map does still in fact add to the "survival" aspects (how many have gotten lost and persevered wandering just because there was no map) or just makes it a little more inconvenient to know if people are building a bit close to someone else?

The map render was broken at the time of the launch, so I believe that's the main reason (a) we don't have a map, and (b) there really hasn't been any discussion on what people want in that regards.

Given the smaller size of the survival server world, it's likely that a render could be set up when it's back online. The problems I've been having on testing render programs seem to relate to the huge size of the creative world.

So what do people want?
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 04:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I like just exploring myself. On the SMP I actually enjoyed the feeling of working on building nearby others. Also on the test server and the smp I liked that people linked into my complex, and I worked off of that and came up with some new and different builds because of it. So my rambling point is if we do turn on a map I'd like to keep the mass land claiming to the creative server instead of the smp server.

I would love to see a render/map once in awhile of the smp server just to see what it is we have all done.

On a related note, I don't recall where I read about the minimap mod. But this is a great tool creates a small-live local render client side for anyone who really needs to see some kind of map.
Old 23rd January 2011, 04:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 73

Inspired

+1 for map

updated fortnightly perhaps?

so its just more of a guide rather than an accurate depiction of the area.

if people agree on wanting a more survival feel to it, set the map as just one layer of render high enough so as not to give away too much detail on the map, but still give people a rough guide as to the direction of landmarks
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:01 PM   #38 (permalink)

Inspired

A map render now and then would be nice.
See the lay of the land, plan travel, castles, regions, etc.

(Seems my request for survival map data is not possible. That's ok, no biggie.)