Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th December 2010, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Map status

As those who've tried to access the map will be aware it is currently not working. The generation program is broken and even if the critical bugs are fixed it's not sustainable based upon it's present design despite the map trim.

I'm looking at a number of other solutions which are designed for huge worlds, however am back at work this week, so I can pretty much guarantee we won't have a solution before Christmas/New Year. Sorry.

I have generated a static overhead map using one of the tools tested, although looking closely it seems some chunk borders don't align well thus I'm unsure presently how accurate the render is until I have something to compare it against. The map image is a 32 Mb .png file and can be viewed / downloaded here*.

* Note: it doesn't always seem to view properly in the browser, but still should be able to be downloaded by right clicking and choosing to "Save Link as" (or similar). The image is 17504 x 17616 pixels in size so a number of image viewing/editing programs may have trouble opening it also based upon my experience.

A bit of trivia, I came across the below post by Foxman in relation to the map at the time which was 5968 x 4224. If only he'd known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
My god that map is getting huge.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st December 2010, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Thanks for doing that. I def miss the old one. Hope it gets sorted out sometime.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1616

Amused

Thanks for the updated map.... D'oh Sonic and Mario are upside down

Is this the now trimmed map?
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Yes, it doesn't have the extensions seen on the pre-trimmed proposals. I believe it's from around midnight on the 17th December based upon the file date Manuzza provided me with.

Just be careful taking it as 100% accurate as I said it's unverified at present, but figured there's enough that looks right that it might be some help.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 21st December 2010, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 566

Amused

Hmm, I can't find any of my area on there, but it does seem corrupt in places so that is maybe not surprising. Oh well.
C.
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Thanks for the updated map.... D'oh Sonic and Mario are upside down

the map is flipped over from the old rendered map. took a while to find my stuff especially since I kept going the old wrong direction from those landmarks. I was in the lower section before am in the upper one now.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnik View Post
the map is flipped over from the old rendered map. took a while to find my stuff especially since I kept going the old wrong direction from those landmarks. I was in the lower section before am in the upper one now.
It's supposed to be rotated to have North pointing up, according to the forum information / help documents from the program (c10t).

Playing:
Old 1st January 2011, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

Any chance of having this type of map updating in crontab, once a day or 2 days ?

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
ArcheAge
Dangerous - Post: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
A bit of trivia, I came across the below post by Foxman in relation to the map at the time which was 5968 x 4224. If only he'd known.

I'm glad I don't have the gift of foresight...I think it would have destroyed me

ArcheAge :: Nesox
Foxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
The map image is a 32 Mb .png file and can be viewed / downloaded here*.

* Note: it doesn't always seem to view properly in the browser, but still should be able to be downloaded by right clicking and choosing to "Save Link as" (or similar). The image is 17504 x 17616 pixels in size so a number of image viewing/editing programs may have trouble opening it also based upon my experience.
Mozilla Firefox under Windows just gives an Error,
Mozilla Firefox under Linux will load the map

Downloading the PNG file, GIMP (free) GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program will load and display the image with no problems

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote