After two very unfortunate lag related deaths where I lost everything I owned of value I decided to see if the creative server is as laggy, and thus this being the betas fault.
The creative server, while more laggy in beta than in alpha, is still a lot less laggy than the SMP server. This is wierd. The only thing different between them should be the enemies in regard to processing power/bandwidth. So why is it so much more laggy? (well it also has more users, but the lag doesn't change at all in regard to that)
It's really really hard for me to play on it right now because the enemies don't appear where they are supposed to be which means:
1) I get attacked before I actually see the enemy
2) I can't fight back because I essentially only hit air (the mob has already moved to some other location but this isn't updated in my client)
I also got dropped into lava while mining obsidian. In normal cases if one has flowing water on top, it will flow into the hole and create obsidian below the block you just mined before it's destroyed by the lava underneath. Now thanks to lag I instead got washed into the hole before obsidian was created, and then burned to death before I even realized I was in lava. Yey.
Other interesting artefacts:
* From time to time the game sort of stutters for a few seconds even though the computer doesn't do anything extra, during this time the server-client sync is usually better than normal.
* When I go close to trees that has just grown I often get stuck on invisible leaves that obviously are there in the server but not in the client. This results in you being able to move quite some distance and then get rubberbanded back to the tree where you got stuck a couple of seconds later.
* My brother sometimes get it like he can't move for a couple of seconds and then he skips forward a long distance. This has at least once resulted in him walking over a cliff and falling to his death.
EVE Online characters:
Daedalus II ex-CEO TOGOA, Daedalus III slave of Daedalus II
Little Molok Asura Engineer
"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 5th January 2011 at 11:35 AM.