Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd January 2011, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Default Survival server PVP area

I believe we can achieve an area of the survival server that is PVP only.
I am going to find a place to mark on the map, around 500x500m for PVP combat, and we can enable PVP in that area.
That is, provided everyone is OK. You will be warned (I hope) when you walk into a PVP area, and you will be able to be killed and looted while in there.

I am hoping that some meta-games develop inside the area, and people get organised or something. I think it will be fun for some people, and others who don't want to be involved in PVP are welcome to stay away.
Is this an OK idea?
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd January 2011, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

I think it should be marked with a wall, with signs at the entrances - so it's really obvious... which will also help when you're inside, to know where you have to stay inside to be in the battle
Obsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

ok, I can make a wall. right now, I am journeying to the western border. It will be at least two days walk from spawn, if not three days walk from spawn.
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8346 TOG Silver Level Supporter

If it's so far away won't it be cut away when the map borders are enforced?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

we have made the area up against the border in the north east of the map.
we have built a cool pvp gateway fortress, and are setting up a wall around it. When the border is working we will turn on PVP in this area and let ppl have a free for all. see how that goes.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

I love the idea!

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

There is an area on a corner (the top left side if standing in the fort looking out I think)... where there are 2 wall sections.... I'd followed an existing one, adding a second layer, and came across the other wall where it continued past the intersection point, then made a corner and continued on a bit, curving, then stopped.... I didn't have enough picks to remove the excess wall.... so if someone wants to neaten that up... feel free Since that corner is in water, I made a small platform in the corner, but I also didn't have much stone, so I didn't build the hut there...

I also put some torches around the place at the fort.... it seems to lessen the spawning mobs (we should have thought of that earlier)
Obsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

Does that mean I have to load up with Snow Balls now?

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9238

I also started placing torches sporadically along the top of the wall. This is so that you can see the border's rough location even at night. There is not enough light to prevent mobs spawning. However, I haven't finished so if anyone wants to do that I would be grateful. I'm afraid you'll just have to walk the lengh of the wall to find the stretches without any torches.

Another thing I found in my travels was there are a number of trees that are too close to the wall that they cover it. For consistencies sake, I started to remove those trees but there are many more to cut down.

As for borders, we will make the pvp area have its own border recognised by the game. Some of this land may or may not be within what the game presently recognises as the general game area, but the settings for the pvp area will take priority in that land.

Sorontar.

Last edited by Sorontar; 4th January 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Just a suggestion - not sure if it's actually possible, but - Could the players name (that floats above their head) be removed in the PVP area?

Hard to Ninja someone if your name can be seen coming for 50 odd meters!