Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th January 2011, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9116

Default Notch's plans for early 2011

From 2011, here we go! : The Word of Notch

2011, here we go!

So it’s the first working day of the year, and we’ve got two more people in the office now. Carl Manneh and Tobias Möllstam. And we’ve got the entire office as well now.

AND.. just a few minutes ago, I found out that Minecraft got three nominations for the Independent Games Festival (Grand Prize, Technical Excellence, and Excellence In Design). So this means I definitely will be going to the GDC this year!

On Wednesday, we’ll have a strategy meeting of sorts and try to work out some vague plans and try to decide how to drive Minecraft beta development and try to define what the finished game will actually be. We won’t start work on modding or anything like that before then.

But! We (especially Jens) have added a bunch of new content to Minecraft that we want to get out asap, so there will be a content patch update next week with a whole pile of fun new toys, including a water mob and quite possibly paint if we can figure out how exactly it should work.

(Oh, and Minecraft will hit 1 million sales soon, and I have NO idea how to celebrate that! There’s no time to plan anything!)
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4th January 2011, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
On Wednesday, we’ll have a strategy meeting of sorts and try to work out some vague plans and try to decide how to drive Minecraft beta development and try to define what the finished game will actually be. We won’t start work on modding or anything like that before then.
I am a little concerned that they have to "try" to do these things, and that they don't know what the final product will include.

Quote:
But! We (especially Jens) have added a bunch of new content to Minecraft that we want to get out asap, so there will be a content patch update next week with a whole pile of fun new toys, including a water mob and quite possibly paint if we can figure out how exactly it should work.
Suddenly a water entrance to your homes may not be as safe an option... but I doubt it would stop Obsi adding purple to the outside of her submarine place.

Sorontar
Old 4th January 2011, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 358

Fine

It is very weird that it is getting awards and we are playing it openly like is is a very buggy full game, while it is actually in beta.

With the amount of changes comming through it I reckon the finished product will be wildly different from what we have today.

Played with TOG: WAR, Eve, Champions Online, TF2, Global Agenda, LOTRO, SWTOR.
Before TOG: WOW, EVE, LOTRO
Gersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1613

Amused

Ive said this ages ago, we are making our own game from an unfinished idea of a game...

Sounds like they havent got any design docs
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8300 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Screw design docs, they only pull you down
Without any goal you can never fail to reach it
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Kind of makes you wonder how it can be in the running for Technical Excellence, and Excellence In Design awards though doesn't it?
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1996

Asleep

It has grown organically.

When it was just one person building it, who needs design docs, procedures etc, just build stuff that seems fun.

Now he's got a team, he's realizing they actually need a lot more overhead.

Also, don't forget the core mechanics are cloned from another game, so the basic design was already done.
Old 5th January 2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1613

Amused

Im hanging out for the hats
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1433

Happy

=O ...

Maybe this is the missing chapter to Tron X_X

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quoting from part of Information dump incoming! : The Word of Notch (which mainly talks about the management of Mojang's resources):
Quote:
Oh, and I added cake today.

The Minecraft update is coming on Thursday. There’s even a user story about that on the kanban board (anything that doesn’t get added before that won’t make it into the release).
And from Notch's twitter account (http://twitter.com/notch):
Quote:
  • I can assure you that the cake is not a lie, but thank you for saying so. ALL TEN THOUSAND OF YOU.
  • The recipe for cake is milk*3 + sugar*3 + wheat*3. Of course. (You will get the buckets for the milk back)
  • For sugar, I kinda retconned the bamboo to be sugar canes.. I hope you're ok with that!