Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th January 2011, 11:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
That was my thought - fortunately they are not like real spiders!
C.
yet...

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th January 2011, 12:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Quote:
do you think they would climb cactus?
yes.... they do.... they take damage from it, but not enough...

So a cactus moat alone won't protect against spiders now... you'd need to build a wall behind it with an overhang.... making sure the wall is high enough they can't jump ontop of it.

The wiki page apparently used to say sand and sandstone was un-climeable by spiders, but it doesn't say that anymore, so I don't know if that's true or not...

They were climbing up the cactus around spawn, then across the top for a bit, then jumping from there onto the Spawn Fortress wall.... So I had to make the wall higher at the back and move the cactus 2 tiles back, so they can't jump from the cactus onto the wall...

Also... they are now fast as hell... no chance of outrunning them....
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 12:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2759

Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post

Upgrading my previous stance from "Messed Up" to "F$%ked Up"

If I can, if there is a method, I will be cheating from now on.
(They can make bullshit scary spiders work on smp, but not tnt arrows?......can i get my 11 euros back?)
Old 15th January 2011, 01:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
As per usual, we have to wait until the mods are also updated.
I gather hey0 has moved on from MineCraft, and kind-of-sort-of passed his legacy to the Bukkit team:

The Bukkit Team will TRY and update hMod | Bukkit Forums

Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 01:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
They were climbing up the cactus around spawn, then across the top for a bit, then jumping from there onto the Spawn Fortress wall.... So I had to make the wall higher at the back and move the cactus 2 tiles back, so they can't jump from the cactus onto the wall...

Yes very fast.

I built a building with a cactus lined edge on the roof. Right up it I capped it with a stone roof later which does work. The new AI for the spiders make them want to stand right over you. with windows I could still drive them to die in cactus by standing under it
Old 15th January 2011, 01:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Hopefully bukkit will come out soon enough. It looks really awesome. I can only hope it will be integrated into the main minecraft server by Notch some day.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 02:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnik View Post
The new AI for the spiders make them want to stand right over you. with windows I could still drive them to die in cactus by standing under it
They have always done that. Spiders are also the only mob I've seen that can "see" you even if there are blocks between you and it. I guess they smell you or something

This can be used to your advantage however. In my base I've made a hole in the roof and a trap with cactuses around a glass floor beneath it. When I hear a spider on the ground above my base I simply walk over to and stand under the trap. They will run straight into the hole, fall down, die and give me string

Btw this means that the skyway isn't secure any more doesn't it? How wide wall do they need to climb? can they climb on a single block or do they need two blocks width? We need to put a ledge on the skyway at least.

I don't know about you, but I find these little problems fun
It means you have to think a bit more and gives you new goals to accomplish, new things to do.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 03:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

yup

I think if we put a roof on the skyway it should be safer. Have to see how open the sides are. The fence seals most of it.

On the upside I did discover the spiders do still take falling damage when they jump down from above. Was working on a new tower and it came over the edge. Ran to the bottom it jumped down took damage and I killed it in 1 hit without getting hurt.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9209

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Hopefully bukkit will come out soon enough. It looks really awesome. I can only hope it will be integrated into the main minecraft server by Notch some day.
Notch is planning on making his own api for mods, I believe.

The problem is that we either have to wait for hMod to be updated or for Bukkit to be "finished". hMod has the advantage of having other mods already made to work with it. Bukkit only has some mods made but is supposed to be a better designed program. Rushing it to being finished may ruin it. Therefore the people from the Bukkit team have had an awkward choice. They have decided to do a "quick" fix for hMod, since they have previously worked on that.

Of course, they are not helped by Notch releasing an update to the update last night.

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Glad he changed the spawn rates. It was crazy for 1.2 nighttime was a joke
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote