Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th January 2011, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Default The state of the worlds on the TOG servers

Lots of people seem to be a little confused about what has happened to the worlds on the TOG servers. So I'll summarise it in one word.... nothing.

In longer terms...

Notch has updated Minecraft to Beta v1.2.

The mods we use to administrate and extend Minecraft have not been updated. Due to certain issues within the mod community, this may take a while (as in days, but hopefully not weeks).

As a result
  • The Creative Server has been turned off
  • The Survival Server has been turned off
  • Both their worlds are saved at their current state and (hopefully) will be reused when the servers are fully updated and reactivated.
  • The port used for the Survival server is now directed to the server and world that you played around with around Xmas. This is a vanilla survival world. This is temporary. This has no mods. This has no maps. This has no whitelist. Not all "normal" commands will work.
So yes, there is a survival server, but it's not the normal one. And yes, the world is different but you haven't lost the old survival world. We will return to it later.

So play nice, and if pain persists, see a doctor.

Sorontar.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th January 2011, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1649

Amused

Thanks for the update Sorontar

Nice idea about letting us run around the test survival server!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

<evil grin> But I was trying to turn on the Hell world/real world blend but unfortunately it didn't seem to work so you should just have the real world.
Old 14th January 2011, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Thanks Sorontar...

... and the other Admins for keeping things running along. I've been back at work but rather unwell for last week or so, thus haven't been around much at all.

Replacement map solution has struck some snags, so some more patience needed there presently. Cheith I'll get back to you over the weekend too - hadn't forgotten your pm.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 572

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Thanks Sorontar...

... and the other Admins for keeping things running along. I've been back at work but rather unwell for last week or so, thus haven't been around much at all.

Replacement map solution has struck some snags, so some more patience needed there presently. Cheith I'll get back to you over the weekend too - hadn't forgotten your pm.
Okay, sounds great. I have almost uploaded that original map I created the bit map from to my hosted web server - takes forever with the zillion little files, and I had to create a custom little program to do it.

I have the beginnings of an in-place map viewer that can give a window onto a live Minecraft map (I believe). It shows an 11 x 11 view at present and allows you to scroll it and jump to a specific chunk as center of the view. I also plan to add zoom and optimize it somewhat so that it does not reload all of the chunks every time you scroll.

The link for the viewer is:
http://www.keisi.net/minecraft/mapview.aspx

It is currently written in C#/asp.net so I am not sure if this could run on our servers or not once I get it in an improved state.
Cheers,
C.
Note: for some reason the map scrolling sometimes does not update the bitmap on screen but if you scroll again it does a double update. I have no idea why it does this!
Old 15th January 2011, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

by the way... if you want to look at the new trees and try mining for lapis... you need to go to previously unexplored lands.... I found some, so I made a path leading to it, and started a mine... feel free to use it (start following the curvy traintracks near spawn, then go up to the little shop and you'll see my path on the right)
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

As Exe has indicated in the other thread, we now have two temporary vanilla servers running:
* temp creative - no mods, no monsters, players can be injured but regenerate quickly
* test survival - no mods, does have monsters, players can be injured, no regeneration.

In both worlds, there is a large area around spawn (20 block radius approx.) that only admins can place or destroy blocks in. This area is fenced off in both cases to help you. I do not believe that this can be reduced.

As there are no mods, /home and /spawn do not work. Neither do any warps. The worlds have no boundaries but I doubt that you would get anywhere near the level of exploration we have seen before.

Oh, and there is no whitelist, so who knows who will turn up. Hopefully everyone will be nice. Griefing is still against the rules.

Enjoy,

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 15th January 2011 at 06:50 PM.