Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th January 2011, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw
Default Why is this forum still here?

Been noticing that this forum seems to get heaps more posts than it's parent RPG & Strategy game forum. The latest post info on the main forum index is always something about minecraft so I was thinking it might be better to move all this to a proper division.

As of late the Strategy & RPG forums seem to have totally died off and I think seeing "minecraft" threads dominating the latest post info form the foum index is a large contributor to that.

There are already 4/5 sticky posts and it's operating like a division with server access/member lists and so on. As far as I can see there isn't any reason for all of this to remain public or part of general Strategy/RPG game discussions.

Just my 0.2c
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18th January 2011, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

It's operating like a Division Drac because it is a Division, except that due to the way we "started out" (kind of operating like a Division but not official) we kind of ended up straddling the TOG Member / Public Forum member fence. I've not been in any hurry to pro-actively relocate to the TOG Member area as it would cut off a group of our players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
As of late the Strategy & RPG forums seem to have totally died off and I think seeing "minecraft" threads dominating the latest post info form the foum index is a large contributor to that.
That seems to be attributing a lot more power to us than I'd have imagined.

Ultimately though if it's felt by the Admins / Mods that it's an issue then we'd need to consider the impact on the Division and implement a transition plan - not impossible.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

I have no problem straddling the fence... its when people start swinging on your legs I begin to have a problem with

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Which group would be cut off if we move? Anyone registered would still get access to the TOG-only parts, and anyone not registered would still have access to the open parts, right? Can't see why a move would change that?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 72

Inspired

Moving to a division would cut off all us non-TOGs correct?

I believe that is why it is how it is.
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Not as far as I know. EVE recently got a public forum part, and it's in the same place it's been before, in the MMO section.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I believe it also has quite a bit to do with the fact that officially minecraft is still in beta, and was in alpha when this division was formed.

From my limited experience most games don't get moved to member only section until they are out of beta or getting very close to it.
Old 19th January 2011, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

Can I also point out that we do already have a member only section but most of the posts we make are to the public area so that all players can read them.

I have been known in-game to point people to the forums when they ask me questions <evil grin>

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Not as far as I know. EVE recently got a public forum part, and it's in the same place it's been before, in the MMO section.
Well, so it does ... I'd missed that change. The Eve setup seems to identically mirror the arrangement here (public main forum with private subforums) except that the whole thing sits in a TOG member division section rather than the public section.

That being the case I can't see any issues getting the Admins to move our little home over, as we'd continue operating without anyone losing access and it would present us more clearly as a Division. I'll follow through on it.

... and Drac would be happy
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

And so we have been moved.... and all my old bookmarks now fail :^)

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote