Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th January 2011, 02:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

As too how far we went on the other smp. I would say in the short travels I did that a lot off people did build fairly far out. So as to whether or not those areas are at or fill out to the border its hard to say. It is possible I think hat we filled/explored/rendered a fair sized section.

But I do believe there should be untouched land within the border to spawn some bocks. We would have to see a rendered map or get on the old server to find out before we could answer that.

Old 30th January 2011, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3660

Cynical

I cant remember the limit of the smp server, is it 1000? if so, that seems now seems to be a bit limited, as its about 1/2 to 3/4 of a days walk to get to the edge.

on a side note, creepers can blow a hole in the barrier. I couldn't cross over, as i get put back in, but i was able to plant a sign outside

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

the border can be moved easily as needed... not sure what happens to the previous border blocks though - since they replace the existing terrain with glass, it might not put the original terrain back, so we could end up with a 1 block hole down to bedrock where the glass was (be a nasty fall!)
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Action Man View Post
I cant remember the limit of the smp server, is it 1000? if so, that seems now seems to be a bit limited, as its about 1/2 to 3/4 of a days walk to get to the edge.
The sorting out the borders are just one of the many complications if we restart with the mods we have been testing.

The test servers both have 1000 block borders (from spawn).

Previously....
The main survival world has a 1600 block border (from spawn). This intersects with the 250 block border for Exe's PvP area. I believe I made sure that the smaller was inside the larger, but there is no guarantee for that.

The main creative world has a 8650 block border and plenty of unexplored lands (and warps to get to and from them).

Quote:
on a side note, creepers can blow a hole in the barrier. I couldn't cross over, as i get put back in, but i was able to plant a sign outside
Thanks for that. Also, I believe someone tried to jump on top of the glass border. I wouldn't do that. The glass is merely a way of showing you the border. It is the x and z coordinates that the mod reads to enforce it, not whether there is a physical block present or not. We could actually make the border invisible, but I think that glass works quite well. I believe the person found that the border bounced them back and they fell to their death.

My other concern about the mods we are testing is system lag. A number of the mods use MySQL or SQLlite databases that are regularly updated. I am a bit worried that if there are a lot (saw 5+) of people being active constructors/miners on the one server, then this may slow the system down. I have seen it crash recently without anyone being logged in. I fear that the mods may make things worse. Have any of you found that there is noticeable difference in lag during the last week? Has it mattered how many other people were logged in?

Sorontar
ps. At the present, the mods we are testing will only allow one border per world.

Last edited by Sorontar; 30th January 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

As for lag I haven't noticed anything. Then again even on the old servers I rarely ever got any as well even when others were complaining about it. So maybe my connection is a bit different coming from the US.

Good to know on the border. As I was thinking about testing a small stack of tnt on it to see what would happen.
Old 30th January 2011, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1613

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Also, I believe someone tried to jump on top of the glass border. I wouldn't do that. .... I believe the person found that the border bounced them back and they fell to their death.
That would be me

Quote:
but I think that glass works quite well.
The glass is a great way to mark the border... reminds me of The Simpsons movie and of "Under The Dome" book by Stephen King.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4009

Cheeky

I think there is a slight overall lag now (I've only been on when 2 others have been on), but it is difficult to tell. Perhaps we need to try and organise a time for several of us to be on at once to see how the lag goes...
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8302 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I can't say I have noticed any more lag than usual. But the only time I was logged in I was alone.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3660

Cynical

the only times i get lag is a brief bit when someone logs on and are DL any map updates, or when its generating new area, but that is most likley only for the person in the new area, its a network load?

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

I seem to be lagging worse than ever, and when only 1 or two people are on...
when mining I get say a 1/4 second 'hesitation' every few seconds - same with walking - every 4-6 blocks I get the same 'hesitation'

Doesn't sound like much. but it stops me playing.