Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th February 2011, 01:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8351 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Currently we don't have any good way of rendering the maps, so I'm afraid you will have to do without
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th February 2011, 02:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

Ahh thats a shame, guess i'll have to sketch one of my own so I dont get lost. Lotta visible landmarks in here
Old 8th February 2011, 08:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 573

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Currently we don't have any good way of rendering the maps, so I'm afraid you will have to do without
Well, actually I have a map program that will render a map, but I need the underlying map data - which is not a trivial exercise - mind you it runs on a windows platform so I could send someone an installer for it.

I have started a Java (JSP) version (I have an C#/ASP.NET web version) that should run on the actual server to allow viewing, but I need to get back to it, and need to figure out why the NetBeans component has got itself lost in the development environment.
C.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Survival server last night was so bad I gave up. Jittery, walk a bit and find yourself back where you started etc. No fun at all.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 02:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Survival server last night was so bad I gave up. Jittery, walk a bit and find yourself back where you started etc. No fun at all.
Yeah, I know. I have big suspicions as to the cause of this, but we are still working on an alternative.

Sorontar
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 02:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I'd also love to have a crack at the problem, if you or Sorontar could get me the map data.
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The maps in that link are not relevant to the worlds presently being used. The maps are only for the main Creative World which I have not yet turned on again (but hopefully will some time this week). There never has been a Survival World map, nor one for the test worlds.

As indicated, we had trouble with mapping initially because of the size of the main Creative World. As a result, we stopped the mapping so that the server machines could actually spend time doing what they are supposed to be doing.... Exe's business and our games.

I think the possibility of a map for the Survival World is still a debateable point. I will remind people that Survival has no warppoints (just /home and /spawn) and I believe that one of consequences is that you have to trudge your way around a bit. To me, this means I am bound to get lost occasionally (well actually, a lot to date). It is part of the Survival experience. However, it will just be a debate until we can get some efficient way to map any world (or Thermal decides what direction we should take).

Sorontar
Old 8th February 2011, 03:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

http://fuzz.phaxx.com/tog/

This is a google map of the Creative World a number of months ago. It has since got much larger, had much more built, then been trimmed. The trimming reduced it to something like the highlighted circle in the following (actually a bit smaller):

The flags are all the warppoints. Hope that gives any new miners an idea of how busy we've been since September.

Sorontar
Old 8th February 2011, 07:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8351 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Yeah, I know. I have big suspicions as to the cause of this, but we are still working on an alternative.

Sorontar
Just want to add that although I have lag myself, it's the same as it has always been on the survival server for me. It's more laggy during the weekends than normal week days (probably due to network load).

Though usually when I'm online there isn't more than maybe 3-4 other online, so if other lag is related to high number of connections then I won't see that.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 11:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

Being new to all this...im gonna check with you guys.

Why is it that the survival server can be down (or refusing connections) when the creative is up? I wonder since the threads here seem to indicate both servers are in the same physical location

I understand from the many many threads on minecraft forums that connection refuse is often the MC auth server being down. Just curious...does our creative world not auth?

Lag hasnt been bothering me the last couple of days while i've been wandering about, though theres not been more than 3-4 players yet. The invisible spider camped by my front door was far more annoying :P

EDIT: to answer my own question...other worlds are up so seems to be our smp with problem just now

Last edited by Celem; 8th February 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Celem is offline   Reply With Quote