Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th February 2011, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default World Maps - what do people want?

The question has come up a few times recently, and with the transition back to our regular worlds (thanks Sorontar) will likely arise more - so:

What are people's views on having maps for the creative and/or survival servers?

Please include your thoughts and preferences for each server around concepts such as overhead / isometric views, google API zoomable maps, large & detailed vs smaller & less detailed views, update frequency, markers (e.g. warps / signs) displayed, etc

Some things to keep in mind:
  • the size of the creative world (~1 Gb) does present difficulties (currently unresolved) generating a frequently updated zoom-able detailed map.
  • the server runs on a linux box thus any mapping solution needs to be able to be scripted to run on it, or alternatively requires the download of the world's files for off server generation.
  • any implementation is dependant upon the Server Admins' having the time and inclination amongst RL commitments and their own gaming time to test and implement solutions, whether on or off server.
  • this isn't a poll, we want your thoughts and reasoning so we can come up with the best fit solution considering all the factors.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 8th February 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th February 2011, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Ok, my personal thoughts then.

Creative world:

• The size of the world currently limits the options here. I'd love to get the google maps API based one up and running again but have been unsuccessful in efficiently generating the necessary tiles so far with any available solutions. Alternatively a static top down view that balances image size and detail would suffice.
  • I'd like to see updates once a day if it can be done automatically without impacting upon the server (i.e. I/O or bandwidth lag) or once a week otherwise.
  • I'd like to see a more streamlined list of warp points displayed. The current number is huge and I think actually lessens their usefulness. (Manuzza, you can say "I told you all so" now ).
  • If warps aren't possible based upon the technical solution, then at least marking spawn somehow (although the North arrow in the sky near spawn may be sufficient depending upon the map resolution).

Survival world:

• I'd like to see the zoom-able google maps API based one operating, and I believe this is quite doable based upon my testing with the creative world when I limited it's rendered area. I think the isometric view works best with this, giving a better impression of depth.
  • So as to retain some of the experience associated with the risk of getting lost while exploring, I wouldn't like to see the map updated any more regularly than once a week. Getting lost, building a pillar to stand on and waiting until the map regens overnight so you can see where you are seems to cheapen the experience.
  • No need for any markers on the map with maybe the exception of spawn. If you want to know who 's built what then visit in-game and look for a sign on the front gate.
  • As for the use of /home and /spawn in-game, individual players can of course choose to use or ignore the map, but I believe it would be handy to check placements at times, particularly as the land fills up and new players join looking for a direction to head in when exploring for a place to build.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

This relates to both the creative and survival server I guess:

There are one or two toggers that have built their own solutions. I think it could be a smart idea to look into those. Having a client side (java perhaps) program that queries the minecraft server map data through a server on the linux machine would be quite efficient. No rendering necessary, the map would always be current and only the chunks that are currently viewed will be downloaded (it will be like another player connected to play).

These map viewers will be limited to a certain zoom though, if you zoom out too far too much data will have to be transferred. Another problem is that the database will have to be accessed while the server is running, but I don't know how severe that is.

It's also nice as we would have the source and knowledge "in-house". If an update happens we could quickly modify anything needed.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 72

Inspired

Survival world:

First up, there definitely should be a survival map.
I think it should only be capable of providing a guide to players, not a block by block analysis of the landscape.

To do this I suggest:
Iso view for depth
non-zoomable
updated weekly/fortnightly
no markers/signs

Essentially my vote would be for our original map render, just updated weekly.
*I could photoshop an overlay if this is a popular choice
Crimetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 406

Lurking

I do like the idea of some lag in the updating of the survival map. It goes well with the survival theme, 'most recent maps available at spawn castle' etc. An idea to where to look for stuff but not a lot more.

Creative you'd feel that you want the ability to zoom and properly examine the world. But given the size of it seems less viable. And you can always just run around on it
Old 9th February 2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

As I said in another thread it would really be nice to see the work thats been done on both servers. More as a see this is what we have been doing rather than a road map to find your way around.

For the survival server only updating once a week or so would be plenty.

The creative server I suppose would be based on how good of a coding solution can be found, but semi-frequent updates would probably be the best.
Old 9th February 2011, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

First of all, the choice for mapping should be independent of the technical aspects/limitations. Save that for another thread i think once we have decided what the plan is

So:
Survival
  • Iso map
  • night render (if possible) to fit the theme and make it a bit obscured while exploring while showing off the brightly lit constructions we have made.
  • Update twice weekly or weekly, I'm flexible.
  • google maps is the best option as it's easy to use and update. You can limit the zoomlevels very easy once it's rendered (i've done a few tests
Creative
  • essentially the same as survival
  • day render for opposite reasons as stated above!
(I'm happy to help out however I can when the time comes for working out the technicals or even rendering/hosting)
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Squad Officer
Sgt at Arms
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 577

Goofy

Second

Fortnightly update i think would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimetank View Post
Survival world:

First up, there definitely should be a survival map.
I think it should only be capable of providing a guide to players, not a block by block analysis of the landscape.

To do this I suggest:
Iso view for depth
non-zoomable
updated weekly/fortnightly
no markers/signs

Essentially my vote would be for our original map render, just updated weekly.
*I could photoshop an overlay if this is a popular choice
Old 16th February 2011, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 632

Sleepy

I'd like to see the SMP map when its up

My home warp either got corrupted or (more likely scenerio) i must have filled the location with blocks so warping to it made me die a slow painful death. So started in spawn and removed my home and for the life of me I cannot remember how to get to my tiny cobblestone fort on foot lol
Old 17th February 2011, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I'd like to see the SMP map when its up

My home warp either got corrupted or (more likely scenerio) i must have filled the location with blocks so warping to it made me die a slow painful death. So started in spawn and removed my home and for the life of me I cannot remember how to get to my tiny cobblestone fort on foot lol
I have had a similar issue with home recently. Wife got home so figure would home and leave minecraft quickly and be back in a safer spot. Feel through the world and died a couple of times.

But I noticed a fort not far from me the other day so was out looking at my closer neighbors before I died to see what they had done.

If this looks like your fort then its pretty much right behind the community mine hill. Follow the old skyroad west south west. There are a few signs as you get closer. Then that fort is a little south of the mine.