Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th February 2011, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8304 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Default How to show your creations in SMP?

I've been thinking a bit about this lately. How can we show what we have done on the SMP server?

Sure you can give a direction from spawn, but that only works as long as it's close to spawn, if it's very far away it's almost impossible to find.

What I would want (and I have no idea if this is possible) is to be able to tune the compass in some direction. Say that we had a list of "waypoints" (sort of like warps but you can't actually warp there). Then you input something like this in the chat: "/waypoint daedalus.castle" and the compass will point in that direction from then on.

To reset it you could write like /waypoint home or /waypoint spawn.

This way we would be able to direct people (and ourselves) to different locations without upsetting the warp balance. Although it would make it easier to find home and such, but come on, even in the real world we still have working compasses and GPS devices.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 9th February 2011, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 406

Lurking

Thats really cool, I've been thinking about this too. Dont know how you'd do it but I would imagine its something moddable.

I started thinking about this when I stumbled onto a passage to your base from the spawn castle....I'm a bit far for something like that:P

The paths we have help, maybe we should name the various streets/roads so we have a convention for giving directions, we can expand our road/skybridge network.
Old 9th February 2011, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

There is a travel agency in the spawn fortress. leaving some basic directions would be a start. We don't need too much hand holding in SMP
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celem View Post

The paths we have help, maybe we should name the various streets/roads so we have a convention for giving directions, we can expand our road/skybridge network.
Not sure this will work in all circumstances, but I do like the idea of naming roads and paths - nice.
Old 9th February 2011, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9124

There presently is a sort of solution. It requires you to build all your wonders near your /home location then making your /home publicly accessible (see Bukkit Commands for players). This sort of goes against the no-warps convention for Survival but it limits everyone to one "warp" they can set. And in case you haven't noticed, I think compasses now point towards your home (if set), not spawn.

Having said that, I have been tempted to remove player access to the public/private/invite aspect of the /home mod. Part of Survival is that things aren't easy. If you want people to have easy access to your creation, make it in the Creative server. I much prefer chancing upon/discovering the creations on the Survival server. That is part of the thrill of exploring.

As for waypoints, yes there are ways to do it already, but again, the question is whether this goes against the type of Survival we want.

Remember that there is always the Creative server, and screenshots can be placed on the forum to dazzle us with the brillance of your creations.

Sorontar
ps. Roads and tunnels are never a complete solution. Not everyone likes them near their work.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 406

Lurking

The weird and wonderful monuments/artworks i'd agree on. I enjoy scouting around trying to find whats out there, then trying to find the way in (not to mention patching up if I bring a creeper).

I guess im thinking this way because I have a distinct 'home', which while pretty isnt especially weird or wonderful. I plan to construct other stuff further afield, but the home is where I base from and where I probably am if not off on some project.

Im all in favour of limiting the ability to warp to each other's homes. No point in mobs if we warp about like agoraphobic wizards
Old 9th February 2011, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Its been awhile since I looked at the minimap addon. Though I believe that was built into it. Setting waypoints that would place an extra arrow on the map to point you in that direction. It also had a waypoint listing in it as well.

I only tried it once awhile back, so am not sure what is still supported.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 24

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnik View Post
Its been awhile since I looked at the minimap addon. Though I believe that was built into it. Setting waypoints that would place an extra arrow on the map to point you in that direction. It also had a waypoint listing in it as well.

I only tried it once awhile back, so am not sure what is still supported.
Aha, now what you are talking about is Zan's Mod. It is still supported in the latest versions of minecraft, needs modloader to function properly.
Here is a link: [Mod] Zan's Mods! (Minimap/zMod) - 30 Jan - Minecraft Forums

Thread details installation and usage and soforth, waypoints are easy to add and are toggleable so you don't have several arrows cluttering up the map.
Hope this helps.
Nadanova is offline   Reply With Quote