TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2011, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Great to see that you got Tectonicus working.
I was testing it out a month ago and found that it would constantly have Java memory errors on larger worlds.

I'll have to look into again, maybe it was just my system.

I'm happy with either Tectonicus or MCmap. both have their pro's and cons.
I always liked the fact that we can render signs and players in Tectonicus as we can start to make a proper map with landmarks and the like.

(although I was looking forward to doing a stylized overlay in photoshop, but perhaps it's for the best I save myself that time sink)
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th March 2011, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac.retox View Post
Great to see that you got Tectonicus working.
I was testing it out a month ago and found that it would constantly have Java memory errors on larger worlds.
I've been getting that if I try for a too large a minimum render distance and/or too many zoom levels on the large creative world. Trying to find the combo that works best.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Map for the creative server uploaded with 4 zoom levels

TOG Minecraft Creative World Map - 3 March 2011 (376 MB)

Player Positions
To have your player added to the map when it's updated, then please post here and I'll add you to the whitelist used in rendering for the creative and survival maps (both unless you specify otherwise).

Signs
For your signs to appear on the map renders you will need to add a dash (-), exclaimation mark (!), tilde (~), or equal sign (=) as the first AND last character on your sign. This could be something like the following examples:
Code:
~ My House ~

=
Spawn Village
      =

!     My     !
!    House   !
Note that these are being done offline at the moment, and require the server to be shutdown or have saving disabled while a snapshot is taken. They also take several hours to render on my local machine. Updates will be as I get the chance to do so at the moment - I can't promise a set schedule.

Player position updates can be more frequently as they don't take too long to do.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 11th March 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

I've tweaked the map render settings added an additional 4 zoom levels to the creative world map, while reducing the map render time down to approx 3 hours (from 7 hours). Note that this is still based on the snapshot of the world from last week.

I'm currently 30% through downloading the world in its current state and will be regenerating up to date maps (both creative and survival) on the weekend. I'm set up to use a render cache and after this initial download and render upload will be able to sync changes only (semi-automated for the moment) so the whole process will be quicker. I'll also be migrating to having the maps on the TOG server so that the responsiveness should be improved.

Oh, btw, there's a few signs on the servers currently that both start and end with one of the special characters (- ~ ! =) and as such are being rendered on the maps (I've so far manually edited them out on the testing renders). If you have signs like these and don't want them displayed, could you please change them to say start or end with a space or something else. I'd prefer to not have to continually manually edit the output files on every render to remove them (I will do so for the next couple of weeks so secret stashes aren't immediately exposed however).

Also, if you want your character displayed on the map when it's rendered, then post / pm and I'll add your player name to the render whitelist.

Playing:

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 12th March 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I think it's hard to know if one have a sign that happen to have those characters (especially if one has a lot of signs). How about posting a list of them here? or if that's too complicated just let them render and if people see a sign of theirs they don't want on the map they can remove it then.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Maps are now uploaded onto TOG Minecraft Server - so should load a bit quicker now when zooming and panning around. I've added one common map page* which will link to the various map renders for all the servers that are hosted at any time. It's URL won't change regardless of where the maps themselves may be hosted.

http://tog.swoit.as/minecraft/

Currently the page links to renders run last night for Survival (day and night) and Creative (day). A creative night render is currently running and will be up most likely tonight.

For those interested, using the cache functionality for rendering, the survival maps render in about 20 mins and the creative maps in about an hour. More stats can be found by clicking on the spawn icon. Note that the date/time relates to when I've run the render locally, which will normally is based upon the previous night's server backup (around midnight I believe). Uploading them is taking longer than rendering them currently.

I've gone with Daedalus' suggestion and just displayed all signs matching the "special" criteria (see above posts). I've noted some people have added signs to display. Once again if you want your player position shown, then let me know and I can add you to the render whitelist.

*It's functional. I'll jazz it up and use a proper html editor later when I've a bit more time.

Playing:

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 16th March 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 16th March 2011, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3994

Cheeky

lol I love the players being on the map - how cool... please add me
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 01:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
lol I love the players being on the map - how cool... please add me
Added and maps updated.

Interestingly there's some code in the render output that looks designed to also display your inventory when your player icon is clicked on. I'm unsure if it's left over from a failed implementation attempt or a not yet complete option. I should ask on the forum.

Playing:
Old 17th March 2011, 10:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 122

Mellow

Still learning a lot but have made some great progress already pestering the wise vets.
Feel free to add us to the player render list also. Cheers for the updates.
Meteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1663

Happy

Not sure how much space the maps are using up. If its not too big. Might suggest saving/linking some older ones on the site to get a glimpse of how the server grows.

And sure add me for players showing up