Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th June 2011, 10:27 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Wow, the map of the Nether is really..... funky!
Agreed, although I'm a bit surprised it's not funkier, given that it all is in a large cave, all you should technically see (from the top) is where the cave ends up in bedrock, ie a large flat surface.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 19th June 2011 at 10:50 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th June 2011, 01:10 AM   #42 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 668

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Agreed, although I'm a bit surprised it's not funkier, given that it all is in a large cave, all you should technically see (from the top) is where the cave ends up in bedrock, ie a large flat surface.
Yeah I was thinking the same, but guess it just slices at a certain altitude so you can see the layout - maybe halfway up? 3/4s?
Old 20th June 2011, 05:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
Average - Post: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackD View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same, but guess it just slices at a certain altitude so you can see the layout - maybe halfway up? 3/4s?
To me it looks like it peeled back the solid blocks from the top of the world until it found empty space and then drew the first block under the empty space as the top of a column. (So two overlapping caverns makes the lower cavern look like it has a wall running across it?)

White space is where the top of the world to the bottom is solid.
Isthiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 09:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthiriel View Post
To me it looks like it peeled back the solid blocks from the top of the world until it found empty space and then drew the first block under the empty space as the top of a column. (So two overlapping caverns makes the lower cavern look like it has a wall running across it?)
I believe it does something like this, stripping off until x% of a given layer is empty and then designating it the top. This is from memory, as nether rendering was added some time back and it's been a while since reading the posts about the methodology.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 01:18 AM   #45 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Updated the Test Server map and added some sample "views" to see what they look like in practice. Click the new frame icons to see them.

Given they are 600-800K per image, I'll definitely need to work out some sort of limits on their use and/or reducing their size / increasing their compression.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

The map render for the Survival server is up - it's as of last night's backup (midnight AEST time).

http://tog.swoit.as/minecraft/index.html

If you aren't getting the new map which has the server name overlaid, then please refresh the page (F5 / Ctrl F5) to ensure you are getting the latest version which includes the multiple worlds/layers.

Playing:
Old 24th June 2011, 12:53 AM   #47 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

You've been having fun with the webpage design, haven't you Looks great. There seems to be a huuuugge lava lake in the Nether for Survival.

Thanks Thermal.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 03:24 AM   #48 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

I needed to clean up the mess that was an MS Word generated page. I got lazy though, so now it's a slightly less messy NetObjects Fusion Essentials coded page and meshing of basic templates.

Playing:
Old 24th June 2011, 10:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

I have noticed that the coordinates box has gone. Is that still available because I find that handy when I am trying to provide a link to a certain part (and zoom) of the map?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 08:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I have noticed that the coordinates box has gone. Is that still available because I find that handy when I am trying to provide a link to a certain part (and zoom) of the map?
You will find that as you zoom or drag the map around that the URL changes in the browser. Makes it easier to pass on a certain view to someone else, but does mean the browser back button builds up quite a history very quickly.

Playing: