Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th February 2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Update coming on Tuesday/Wednesday

The guys over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun have the word direct from Notch that the next update will be on Tuesday (closer to Wednesday for us Aussies I gather).

It will include BEDS. They'll work by letting you skip the night if you use one (single player only obviously). A later update will also introduce the effect that by using a bed your (presumably personal) spawn point will change to that location.

We'll have to wait an see whether the promised native whitelist, game launcher and new half sized blocks also make it into Tuesday's update, or a later one before GDC.

Expect the servers to be down for a while on Tuesday/Wednesday until we can either get the regular worlds back up or switch over to the test worlds. Either way mod provided functionality will likely be limited initially and the whitelist may or may not be in effect.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th February 2011, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

ohh nice! I wonder if you'll regenerate health while sleeping too...?
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8363 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yeah I was thinking that too, it sounds like something that would be perfectly logical if it happened.

I wonder what happens if you have more than one bed? Where does the spawn point end up then?

Also I assume the bed is larger than one block, I wonder how that works, nothing in mincreaft is currently larger than one block (except spiders but they are mobile).
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 19th February 2011 at 10:47 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cheeky

Not sure I like the idea of the beds changing your spawn location (I like being able to continue on where I left off the previous time I played), but I like the idea of having them... it will be interesting to see how they are made, because yeah, to be in scale they would need to be at least 1x2 (like a double chest), but preferably 1x3. I wonder if you make a pillow tile or something and are then free to create the rest of the bed around that, or if it is one single large object...
Old 19th February 2011, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Ironically, I just made a bed in my digs last night. Of course all I can do is jump up and down on it currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Not sure I like the idea of the beds changing your spawn location (I like being able to continue on where I left off the previous time I played),
I don't imagine it would affect where you spawn when logging in, rather just where you spawn when you die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I wonder what happens if you have more than one bed? Where does the spawn point end up then?
Whichever one was the last one slept in (used). So if you've a city house and a beach house, you could switch between them simply by using the bed in your desired location.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 20th February 2011, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
I don't imagine it would affect where you spawn when logging in, rather just where you spawn when you die.
that makes sense
Old 20th February 2011, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Anyone else HATE the idea of half blocks though?
Why not curved blocks?
Why not blocks with holes in them?

We have one - all we need.

Beds sounds a bit shit to me as well.......like changing the rules halfway through.
I think the bubble may be close to bursting for me if this sort of rubish is indeed actioned - but for my $14 it was a fun ride.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

I'm actually looking forward to more than bland grey half blocks, but yes, something with a little more shape would be nice.

Playing:
Old 20th February 2011, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cheeky

yes, it's annoying to not be able to have wooden half blocks for stairs...

I would like more decorating options, I mean we have bookshelves but no other furnishings.... tables and chairs would be nice

we can't have round blocks.... that's not minecraft!
Old 20th February 2011, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 579

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
we can't have round blocks.... that's not minecraft!
Indeed ... minecraft is the new Cubism!!
C.