I was tossing up whether to tack this onto the original thread or start a new one, but I thought I'd start a new one.
As has been mentioned before
, there is a mod called "Mo' Creatures
", which adds extra animals (horses, ducks, birds, rabbits, bears, foxes, wolves, lions, boars), as well as more monsters (wraiths, warewolves and ogres).
Well there have been several improvements to it since it was first posted about.... as I'm a bit of a fan of this mod, I've been keeping up to date
- Foals - There was an update to make foals, the offspring of horse breeding is now a suitably small sized "baby horse", which needs a couple of minecraft days to grow up enough to saddle and tame (or feed it wheat to watch it grow before your very eyes to speed up the process). Please note though that anyone who had a pre-foal version will notice when installing a newer version of the mod that all existing horses will be absolutely teeny tiny (like flea sized) when you first load the game with the updated mod - as it has to do with the age generation thing - feed them wheat and they will grow full sized again, or wait and they will do it on their own eventually... (I'd had one of mine in the water and I could only see it's bubbles lol)
- Saddles - There was an incompatibility with the saddles with minecology, so that has now been partially resolved (there is still an incompatibility issue in general) by doing something with the saddles (reassigning their code number I think), so if you've previously installed this mod you *MUST* first go into the game and delete all saddles you have in chests or your inventory, before installing the updated mod (or it will crash)
- New Easy Install - It's now installed through mod manager, so you don't have to manually install it any more. HEAPS and HEAPS of people have been reporting issues with installing however, so people often recommend manually installing it anyway, I used the mod manager for the foal update and it worked fine.
- More Mobs - Since Minecraft has a limit to the amount of mobs that would spawn in a chunk, people complained that once you start up a horse stable and have non-despawning animals around, you won't get any more mobs in that chunk, so the mod was updated to increase spawn rates to allow more mobs to spawn.
- New options menu - The first version of the mod let you install only those animals/mobs you wanted, then they upgraded to one single download and you had to manually open the properties file to change the name of any mob you didn't want in the game. This has now changed again, and there is a special GUI which will bring up an options menu in game, which will allow you to not only pick which animals to spawn, but also set how many of each type of mob will spawn (eg 4 lions, 20 sheep). There are also options to allow easier breeding of horses (horses won't go sterile after breeding and you can set if you want the random nature of breeding removed so you always get the horse you're trying for)
- Sharks - There are now sharks, which will attack anything that goes/falls into the water. Large sharks can drop eggs which when thrown into the water will grow into tame sharks that won't despawn and won't attack the player (so shark infested moats are now possible ). Shark teeth (dropped when sharks are killed) currently have no use, but he's working out what best to use them for... a spear or arrow head seems to be the most popular suggestion
- Hunter animals "eat" drops - There were problems with the hunting animals (lions, foxes, bears) killing other animals and their drops just sitting around and bogging the game down, so now animals killed by the hunter animals won't leave item drops lying around.
- Squids - They have discovered a few problems with the squids in the basegame... it seems that they can only swim down and don't despawn like other mobs do... so they will swim down deep and stay there, and prevent any new squids (or sharks) spawning... So Dr Zhark has been working on that to try and fix it... I believe sharks now kill squids, and you can set the squid spawn rate in the GUI.
- Rideable Dolphins - are being worked on at the moment and should be ready next update
- Dragons - Dr Zhark commented that when he makes dragons, they won't be able to be easily bred like the horses - which means dragons are coming too!!!
- Dogs - Someone created dog textures, and Dr Zhark was interested in using them, so dogs (tameable ones) may also be coming
In addition, Dr Zhark has another related mod - Farm Craft
. The basic idea of this is to make the basegame animals (cows, sheep, chickens, pigs) into proper farm animals and allow planting of crops.
- Taming animals by dropping/feeding them the right food for their type (wheat or rose seeds), and they won't despawn once tamed.
- Craft a shepherd's rod to make tamed animals follow you
- You can breed the animals to make more of them. Breeding works much the same as with the horses, put 2 of the animal somewhere where no other animal will spawn for 8 blocks, feed them the breeding food (hay or flowers depending on the animal), and after a while they should produce offspring (I believe the offspring are smaller than the parents and will grow).
- You can apparently dye a sheep and if you feed it wheat it will now regrow it's wool and it will remain coloured
- Cows produce manure which can be used to create fertilised seeds. Mixing a flower, pumpkin, mushroom etc. with manure creates the seeds which can be planted like normal wheat seeds, and the appropriate plant will grow from that, allowing you to grow pumpkins, mushrooms and flowers.