Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky
Default World stuffed or is it just me?

I'm getting about 3 minute lag, I've tried restarting minecraft several times...

Walking is smooth, first off I didn't know there was a problem... until I noticed lag when I replied to someone, and it took a long time for the world to draw.... I even saw a slime in a non-loaded bit

so I counted the next time I typed something and it was 64 seconds before I saw it on screen.... then I went wandering a bit and the world just started shaking, and I couldn't move or jump or anything. So I disconnected and reconnected. That fixed it, but it was now nighttime (was day when I was stuck). A creeper was near me, so I went up to stab it, and it wasn't doing anything, and the creeper just walked right past me. I tried to stab it in the back nothing happened.... then a few moments later it blew up, but I couldn't tell where, since no blocks were destroyed....

Then I wandered a bit more and found a bunch of animals, and then something was taking health off me, but I couldn't see what.... so I died, but I couldn't respawn because the respawn button didn't do anything. Eventually it did respawn me, and since then I've only been able to get probably a chunk worth of world... no matter how long I stay there, or how close to the edge I get, it won't load more.... and if I fall in, I just fall forever

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd February 2011, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

It's been working OK for me but there was some strange goings on when I first connected. It was daytime and there were mobs burning in the sunlight so I assumed it was early morning. I waited for the sound to finish then raced outside to pick up the goodies. I was in the middle of a batch of dropped items before I realised it and I assume these are yours. The wierd thing is that night then came very soon after the mobs burnt so that threw me some-what.

There was some bread and other things but I'm not sure what was yours and what was mine. I have a diamond pick but also wasn't sure if that was yours or not. I've put what I think is yours just inside my tower in a chest with your name on it.
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Try turning on the FPS limiter in the options menu.
Apparently that helps for some people who have the same problem.

Also, I just found this thread:

Chat Delay / Mass Chunk Errors / Lag / Connection Issues - Minecraft Forums

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but there might be a few more ideas in there that you can try.

Hope this helps!
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Could it be left overs from any client side mods you were using? The update may have only partially overwritten some stuff with the remainder getting stuck in some sort of loop that's impacting.

Maybe try deleting* your .minecraft directory and minecraft.exe then redownloading and trying a clean run.

* First backing up of course your .minecraft directory (defaults to C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft on Win7, and can be located via the "Options" button prior to logging into the minecraft client).
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Try turning on the FPS limiter in the options menu.
Thanks, that worked!

It was nice to be able to leave spawn again! Once I respawned there, the rest of the world refused to load, so I was trapped there! in half a spawn fortress

I only had 2 mods (minimap and mo creatures), and since they put files into the minecraft.jar, which gets overwritten when there is a new update, I don't think that's the issue... since I don't think there is anything else it modifies. Plus people on the forum were talking of having this problem with fresh installs with no mods....and single player was working fine.... which is the other odd thing... I did start a new world to test if single player worked, as my existing world has the horses I can't load it until mo creatures is updated... so the world was smaller than multiplayer, but I don't think that made a difference

I tried the alt+tab or just pressing alt twice that some people found helped... it didn't... but I turned the framerate limit on, as was also suggested, and that fixed it instantly.

Seems a lot of people are also having the same problem.... and I find it interesting that most of them talk of minutes of lag... not just a small amount of lag. With so many people having exactly the same problem, it must be something broken in the update... I wonder why it's affecting only some though... My PC isn't the most flash thing out there, but it's certainly capable of playing minecraft (until today anyway)... so unless the update has some really buggy code or something that's causing issues for those with a lesser machine.... don't know...

Quote:
I've put what I think is yours just inside my tower in a chest with your name on it.
Thanks I don't know what I had, except what's showing in the inventory in the screenshot above... but nevermind... I took the stuff and left you a thank you

I assume I died due to the belated creeper explosion... it ended up being quite interesting... I was sort of invincible! I could wade about in lava, dance around infront of creepers and go wandering off exploring caverns in safety for about 3 minutes until the lag caught up with me and I'd spontaneously combust and die

Last edited by Obsi; 24th February 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 24th February 2011, 04:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8320 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Hehe that's exactly how it was for me in the beginning when the survival server was new (and somtimes still during weekends). Lag for 30 seconds or so, and you never know where the enemies really are, if you're in lava or are already dead
You just had to be damn careful about not getting in contact with mobs
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cheeky

30 second lag isn't as bad as *3 minutes* though..... occasionally I've had less than 30 seconds lag when the server has been laggy...but this was different... and horrible.... I know it was 3 mins, because I'd type something and hubby (in the same room) and I would time how long it was until it appeared on my screen, or he'd type something and we'd time how long it took to get to me.

-- not to mention the fact that the world just wouldn't load... not just missing chunks, it would load the chunk I was standing on, and pretty much nothing else. At first it loaded a couple of chunks, as I was able to explore a bit at first (when I died outside Sp!at's place), but from then on, all I got was the chunks Spawn fortress was on, and not even the whole fortress... as you can see in the pics, it was missing bits.... and disconnecting and reconnecting - even reloading the minecraft exe... didn't help - it would not load more than that.

You'd punch a sheep and nothing would happen.... so you punch a few more times, then give up in disgust, so wandering for a bit and then 2 mins later, when you'd forgotten you'd even met a sheep, you'll all of a sudden get wool appear in your hand....

I was able to leap off the spawn fortress wall, walk into the lava and through it to the end, jump out, walk up to a skeleton... play a game whereby I tried to push it around with my body.... when I got bored of that I then went exploring the cave on the beach near the fortress... where I laughed in the face of 2 zombies trying to frighten me (I'm INVINCIBLE!)... and followed the waterfall to the bottom, climbed back up, explored someone's underground cavern there... and all that without losing any health until it finally all caught up to me. (that bit was a bit cool, I have to admit )

Last edited by Obsi; 24th February 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
Thanks, that worked!
Cool, glad you got it fixed!
I remember having the same problem ages ago, back on the old creative.
Wander around and then suddenly "pickup" items you fumbled over minutes ago...
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote