Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th February 2011, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8346 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Default Minecraft easy target for hackers

list of users that have been hacked - Minecraft Forums

This is a thread about a lot of people who have been hacked the last two months.

Be careful about what passwords you use in minecraft. There is no multiple login try checks in minecraft and therefore it's very easy to automatically crack simple passwords given they have your user name.

We toggers are probably better off than many others if we only join the TOG server. However if you have a simple password, immediately change it to something more complex, and if it's the same as any other password you have change those as well.

(Mine is luckily pretty complex )
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th February 2011, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

probably the most important thing here is to not be lazy.

the only real way to prove ownership of an account is to have the transaction id you got when you paid for the game (hope you saved that mail somewhere!)

At the very least ensure that you dont have the same password for minecraft as you do for the email account its tied to. Hackers are not dumb and WILL try that immediately after forcing a password, if they get both you are bang outta luck

like daed mine is a pretty complex (a mangled mess of letters in different cases, numbers and punctuationmarks that I never lay down in a cookie).....its probably a programmer thing:P
Old 27th February 2011, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

no matter what type of system your using that needs some kind of textual credentials, you do need a complex setup of case and numbers (but I also prefer to be able to use symbols, that it seems Windows servers have only just started to allow in pwords)

the only other safer way is PSK, I'd actually prefer something like the ssh psk key exchange where you have the public key and they have the private key that they use to decrypt your key, I mostly go for this as my preferred method, but not many allow 2048 bit keys :P

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9238

According to the guys at MCBans (one of the anti-griefing mods) and Bukkit, there have been more MC passwords hacked.

List of Minecraft Account Passwords Found in the Wild and Server Security Issues | Bukkit Forums

Please be sure to keep your passwords for any online resources secret, and be careful which mods you add for Minecraft. One might contain spyware. I strongly recommend that all players use Dinnerbone's form (see the Bukkit article) to see if they are on the list of hacked accounts.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 14th March 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8346 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Should be noted though that if you don't install mods (although I assume texture mods that just reskin the client are safe anyway) and don't play on other multiplayer servers than the TOG one you should be fairly safe.

Remember: When you play on a server you also play with all the clients that has ever connected to that server!
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote