Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th March 2011, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 674

Inspired
Default Not happy, guys...

Hey guys - visiting from the CS division.

I got this game earlier today on a whim.. been watching the occasional video with curiosity over the last year - looked a lot of fun for builder types (I myself, spend a lot of time making maps in Source, so this looked like it would feed my construction ambition).

So, went and bought it and jumped into a single player game. Then 2 minutes later jumped out and went hunting for tutorial videos.. haha. Armed with a basic crafting knowledge, went back into the game.. That was around 3pm my time.

ITS NOW MIDNIGHT!

I've had no dinner.. I missed the last third of my work day.. Have been playing for around 9 hours straight and I CAN'T STOP! Oh sure.. I have a beautiful eight storey house, with a central spiral staircase, with tributaries running to underground streams and a lava cavern. And yeah, i figured out how to make the Large Chest all by myself! (by accident, of course), and have a lovely glass deck for surveying my kingdom....

But now I'm looking at the clock figuring how many more hours I can go for before it starts impacting my work tomorrow.. HOW DO I STOP? :O

And what's this I hear about online play?

+BlackD
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th March 2011, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

I found the best way to stop (after many many hours of inane digging and pick-axe crafting), was to have my beautiful little home constantly and mercilessly blown up by many many Creepers. I couldn't take seeing my work destroyed for no reason. I didn't do anything to them? Why do they hate me so much. I guess it's their nature. If they don't explode, was is the purpose of their existence?

Do a flip!
- Bender
Preacher Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Thankfully I started playing when I was on holidays. Got over the initial can't stop playing all night sessions before going back to work.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 9th March 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1190

Relaxed

i manage my minecraft addiction, the same way i manage all of lifes addictions... by routine'ing them. figure out how much you can acheive in an hour and then set goals - with your long term goal always at the top - and then play the game, hour by hour. to set a point to stop for that day.

i have 4 seperate projects to work on in 15 mins slots... keeps everything in perspective with me.

Prime!
Primexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Server Admin

Inspired

Alright.. 1.30am.. my landbridge between my mountain and a nearby range rich in stone is complete.. tomorrow - trains! For now, sleep.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Server Admin

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
i manage my minecraft addiction, the same way i manage all of lifes addictions...
Heh.. I don't think I'm quite addicted yet, I hope. My post was kinda tongue-in-cheek. I'm simply impressed, as not many games hold my attention for.. now - 10 and a half hours straight! Alas, I also have too many other serious projects on the go to spend every day on this game, but it'll certainly be a diversion I'll spend some time in.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9208

Well, we were mining until 3am in the morning in our early days.... to think that was around 6 months ago. We still haven't escaped!
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 05:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

repeatedly die in such a way that you lose your inventory...that normally dampens my buzz for a good 12 hours.

First I fell off a mountain and splashed on a tree top somewhere many days from home, didnt even bother looking for that lot

Then I went mining to replace the diamonds and iron ore stacks that I lost, fell in some lava.

Save. Quit. Sleep

But more seriously... Yes this game does seem to hold my attention better than most too. Its pretty rare that I can spend more than 4-5 hours playing a single game, yet when I first logged onto the TOG survival server I clocked 26hrs straight
Old 9th March 2011, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

1. If you are losing inventory like that you need to adjust your gameplay habits. Create chests wherever you are pioneering, and put stuff in it. Once you decide to move on or back home, pack up and take it with you.

2. 26 is a serious number of hours straight. About 14 hours over a reasonably safe limit, even with breaks to eat!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

Yeah there are some major disadvantages to pushing much past double figures. The main one being that it takes exponentially longer for you to 'recover'. After a 12 hour gaming session your going to feel a bit rotten the next day, 16-18 hours and you lose much of the next day outright...roll past 20 and you feel it for what seems like a week :P

Its mainly a function of whether or not my significant other is around. If she's about I rarely exceed 4-5 hours over an entire weekend, if she heads out of town for a bit... well, I did a few sessions in EVE where I probably gamed for 80 hours out of 120.

When it comes to inventory loss im trying out some new habits. Namely that I periodically build 1x1 towers up to cloud level and stick a chest on top, light the thing up a bit and get out a stack of sand/gravel to get back down and keep exploring

Last edited by Celem; 12th March 2011 at 07:51 PM.
Celem is offline   Reply With Quote