Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th March 2011, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default SMP Rail Project (Updated 30 March 2011)

Premise:
To build a rail network from spawn to various locations around the map.

Who can be involved?
Anyone who wants to be. The only request is to please try and adhere to the construction principles below. Pick a role, stake a claim, and get cracking!
Suggested Roles:
Gandy Dancer (Track layer). Lay tracks and boosters.
Robber Baron (Station owner). Builds the station architecture at their location.
Switchman (Station mechanics and wiring). Builds the workings and switches for the station.
Miner (Mines iron). Provides the valuable iron to the builders.
Hobo (Passenger). Rides the network.

Construction Principles (proposed):
  • At this stage tracks will be two-way so boosters outside of a station should also be two-way boosters.
  • If tracks need to branch then a station should be built at the junction to control the switching. Passengers should disembark, select the new destination, then catch the next cart.
  • Boosters can be built at proposed station locations until the station is constructed.
  • There is no right or wrong way to build anything so have fun and get involved.
  • If a section of track impacts on another project then the track can be dismantled and redirected around or under the project. Projects take precedence over tracks so don't feel bad about destroying sections of track if it gets in your way.
  • You don't need any sort of approval to add to or branch off the Rail Project but if you create a junction then you should build a station at that point in the track network.

Sub-projects:
Spawn Station
Status: Foundations built. Mechanics constructed. Architecture to be built.
Architect: Nadanova.
Engineer: DaedalusAlpha
Foundations: Misnik
Notes: Will be the central station with branches connecting all networks.

Splat Mine Station
Builder: Splat.
Notes: Initial station in network. Branches to Tower Station and ShadowRemix Station.

Tower Station
Builder: Splat.
Notes: Main station in Splat & Blizz Territory. Branches to Splat Mine Station and Misnik Tunnels.

Shadow Station
Builders: ShadowRemix & Splat
Notes: Currently last stop in Western Branch. Connects to Splat Mine Station.

Misnik Tunnel
Builder: Misnik.
Notes: Major tunnel network under spawn.

NAM Project
Builder: Non Action Man
Notes: Track section extending to the North West.

Bazz's Glass Station
Architect: Bazz.
Engineer: Splat & Bazz
Notes: Track north of spawn. Not connected to spawn yet. This station shows all of the workings and is a good example of how to build a station because the floors are all glass.

Isthiriel Island
Builder: Isthiriel
Notes: Track just north of spawn. Will connect to skyway. (need a link on the map)

Designs:
Stations:
(linked here when available)
Boosters:
Etc:

Useful links:
(links to useful articles/videos/tutorials)
Station building tutorial.

Other Information:
If submitting a sub-project to be listed, please add to this thread with:
  • the title of your project.
  • The location on the Tog Map (use the 'Get Link' area).
  • The status of the project.
  • Who is involved.
  • Brief notes about the project.
  • Any requests for help and assistance.

64 units of iron will typically make 2 carts (for boosters) and 144 track pieces. If there is one booster in such a network then 17 track pieces are used to gain a direction of 3 blocks. So the 64 will advance the track typically 97 blocks.

Carts settle North-South in a dispenser after a reconnect so it may be best to try and have them fall North-South rather than East-West. It should still work but it may be a little easier on the designs if North-South orientation is used.

Disclaimer:
No-one is in charge of this project so everyone should feel free to add to, change or remove track as suits them without consent or approval.

Last edited by Sp!at; 30th March 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Sp!at is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th March 2011, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Doh

I've started to build a bit of a rail network from my current base in SMP toward a couple of other areas and was wondering if anyone else wanted to do anything similar and hopefully link things up eventually.

Also, I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get a multi-purpose cart-launch/cart retrieval booster to work (working on plan D at the moment) and if anyone has any ideas on this it would be very helpful.

The following images show where I am with it and also show what isn't working...

STATION LEVEL:
Pressing button A sends a request for a new cart.
Cart arrives at stone plate B waiting for the player to jump in. Once the stone plate is activated by a person a signal is sent to a booster that travels along the central rail and pushes them out along the track.
When a cart returns it arrives at the wooden plate C. A booster cart travels along the central track, this time from left to right, and returns the empty cart to the cart dispenser.
So that is how it is supposed to work in theory...

Still on the station level, here is a look along the three tracks. On the right is the new cart retrieval area which works very well.
On the left is the track that takes back to the dispenser.
In the middle is the booster track which is where I'm having issues. Before looking in there I'll show the bits that are working correctly...

This is the cart dispenser (left) with its booster on the right. The middle track of this portion of the operation is for another booster that is triggered by pressing the button at the station level.

Around the corner from the cart dispenser is the triggered booster. The highlighted track has a redstone circuit that opens the track when the button at station level is pressed...

Here is the circuit that operates that track switch.

Now we'll come back out through the cart dispenser area into my personal Hell, the Multi-Directional Cart Booster System.

Multi-Directional Cart Booster System
So this is where I'm having issues!

I have tried 3 different designs and this is the fourth. It works (in theory) as follows:

Power is provided by a standard booster system but with an extended loop.

Tracks leading off in each direction loop up to the station level and return from the opposite side via two junctions (the 'exit station' junction shown with the arrow).

The junctions are effected by redstone which break the circuit and allow the cart to break its loop. These junctions are triggered by the stone plate and wooden plate on the tracks at station level.

Once released the cart enters a 2-way booster to give it oomph for getting up the slope and reaching the station level.

When it reaches the station level it continues and gives a boost to either the cart waiting at the stone plate or the returning cart at the wooden plate.
It will then continue and re-enter the lower levels from the other side which has another 2-way booster and so will be boosted back into its loop again.

The trouble is, even though it is boosted, it runs out of puff here before it even starts to climb the slope.

I didn't take images of the other designs and I did have one that worked quite well but the looping would eventually run out of puff.

I can't see why this current one wouldn't work.

Last edited by Sp!at; 21st March 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Sp!at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8347 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Where is this located? do you have directions from the spawn? I'd love to take a look at it
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Where is this located? do you have directions from the spawn? I'd love to take a look at it
It's located South West of Spawn. Here is a link to the map centred on the location.

It isn't functioning properly yet but any advice on the booster would be very welcome.

I haven't built front doors at this location yet so just chew through the dirt blocks at the entry for now. Then continue straight ahead. The rail station is off to the left of the large circular chamber.
Old 19th March 2011, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Doh

I set-up an experimental 'Skunkworks' room to test different configurations and have come across some pretty interesting stuff:

Splat's Laws of Unoccupied Minecart Motion

1. The law of boosting: A booster will propel a minecart D = 8* (L-1) blocks across a flat surface where D is the distance travelled and L is the length of the booster. So a standard 4 block booster will boost an unoccupied cart 24 blocks. A 6 block booster will boost it 40 blocks.

2. The law of inclines: Each block of incline will add or subtract 1 block of distance. D = P-H where D is distance, P is potential distance along a level surface, and H is the difference in height. So if we have a potential of 24 but a rise of 4 blocks then the actual distance would be 20 blocks.

3. The law of walls: If a track turns with a wall in front of its initial direction it will slow the cart down. D = P-(W*6) where D is distance, P is potential distance along a level surface and W is the number of wall pieces in front of the cart at corners.

4. The law of corners: Corners do not slow the cart down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So armed with this info I'll have another go by lengthening my main booster loop and removing the 2-way boosters.
Old 19th March 2011, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doh

Ta-daaahhhhhh!!!!

It worked!
The image above is looking back through the booster room toward the cart dispenser. I've re-patched the walls, floors and ceilings with stone to clean it up.
The important changes here are:
Booster is now 6 blocks long rather than 4.
The other 2-way boosters are gone.
Old 20th March 2011, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

I haven't worked on rail much even in single player. Looks great
If you make it up about this far: TOG Minecraft Survival World Map (Day) - 18 March 2011

Feel free to connect to my tunnel system its plenty large enough to accommodate foot and rail traffic I think. It also goes all the way to spawn. Would only ask to set the boosters out of the side/etc since I like wide open foot paths

My current project requires a lot of stone so I was thinking about extending one of the ends soon. Was thinking of getting close or connecting to some of the projects straight out from my little snow gathering hut/tunnel end.

Maybe like so:

Old 20th March 2011, 05:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Doh

Thanks Misnik,
It would be great to be able to connect it with your tunnel network. I must admit I was paying a pilgrimage to the cathedral yesterday (what an awesome construction btw) and stumbled into your underground network. I have an old unused tower not far from the area you indicated and had planned to bring a network that way but it would be much better to connect it to a network like yours.

As far as boosters are concerned, I've been making boosters like this when running the track along pathways:

The half-block stops the booster cart but doesn't stop anyone from walking along the path.
It could even be pushed one more block in so the wall could cover where the booster is housed.

If you need cobblestone I've got a fair amount from this project I can give you.

Also, if anyone has spare iron it would be greatly appreciated.

In 'the wilds' much of the track is above ground but I did want to hide it as it got closer to the built-up areas. Misnik, do you have a guideline for your tunnel network? Eg, in the temp server much of the connecting tunnel network was 15 blocks below sea level and was 3 high, 2 wide.
Old 20th March 2011, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

Looks nice.
Thanks

I have a lot of iron ore from working on my network, but haven't converted it to bars at all. Your welcome to most of it. I don't really use it. Theres also a lot still exposed along the sides of my tunnels as well.

I'll donate 8 stacks of iron ore and 1 stack of coal to the project. Will drop it off at spawn in my chest downstairs in a moment here.
Old 20th March 2011, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Doh

Thanks very much for that quantity of iron. That should allow me to bring the network close to spawn

I'll drop off cobblestone when I collect it.