Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th March 2011, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leevers

Default addiction in it's rarest form

King_Rocket and I were chatting away on steam and whilst doing some reading on Minecraft to find out that even trying to describe or understand this game is very difficult, so we decided to buy it.

I spent 4 hours straight playing the game and I love it! It's a good time killer and with no need for sound, I can have music blaring in my ears whilst building.

The only let down to this game and will continue to be an obstacle is the every day persons perspective on the game and ultimately their conclusion being 'wtf'. It's a very difficult game to describe and understand based on reading material. 4 hours of jumping in and out of servers I believe I have a 'fair' idea of how to play.

Look forward to playing with you guys on the TOG server

Last edited by Leevers; 28th March 2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 28th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevers View Post
I spent 4 hours straight playing the game and I love it! It's a good time killer and with no need for sound, I can have music blaring in my ears whilst building.
But.... but.... how do you know when the spiders and zombies and their friends are coming over for dinner? They don't tend to ring ahead.

Quote:
The only let down to this game and will continue to be an obstacle is the every day persons perspective on the game and ultimately their conclusion being 'wtf'. It's a very difficult game to describe and understand based on reading material. 4 hours of jumping in and out of servers I believe I have a 'fair' idea of how to play.
So you haven't used redstone to design your own calculator? Or got the sound boxes to play Bohemian Rhapsody?

In truth, Minecraft is a step-by-step process. Different people play it different ways. Some go for building big, some go for pop culture icons, some go for beauty, some go for landscaping, some go for monsters. Personally, I like to make things and find a story for them, changing the terrain as little as I can. Each player has their own needs. Not all the recipes are required. After a while you may change your game, or want to help someone-else. For that, you might need new recipes. For instance, I am going to have to start making dyes soon. For that I will be relying on Minecraft Wiki - Minecraft Wiki.

Of course, every now and then, Mojang releases new stuff and we have even more to do.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Leevers...I....I....
Sorry.

to late too save you, so let me help you through the next steps...

1: Build something
2: Enjoy it till you see one of millions of 'tube' videos
3: decide to go epic in scale
4: discard family and friends
5: start building an epic hole to house your creation - mindless to the fact thet you are actually making......a hole

Yes Leevers - all this and more can (will) be yours!

(remember the years before minecraft fondly - these memories will get you through endless creepers blowing up your shit when you thought you had enough light around)

welcome aboard!
Old 29th March 2011, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

LOL yeah, without sound it's "walk along, explode suddenly" (or find an arrow in your eye)

Though for my singleplayer game (on peaceful) I've resorted to playing with the speakers off and just the little bit of sound that comes out of my (non-worn) headphones... because the incessant horse and dolphin sounds are driving me batty

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leevers

Thanks for the welcomes

I built a bank last night on a free build server with a nice underground vault. Unfortunately though, King_Rocket smashed my design with an EPICLY HUGE creation of AstroBoy. I believe he took a couple of screen shots so hopefully he posts them up
Old 30th March 2011, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

It was mega man, just a straight up sprite copy.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

Nice

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote