Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29th March 2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky
Default Girlcraft

I saw a yogscast video where they were using the girlcraft texture pack... I had to show MiniObsi and of course she wanted it...

it's adorable - in that sickly girly way... she of course loves it so much she was almost in tears (I'm apparently the "best mum ever" for installing it hehe)... So I thought I'd show you some pics. She's also got the fairy mod installed, to have the fairy companions

This is a "red brick" house - purplified! (I'm sooo updating my default pack to include that texture!) - and yes, one of the fairies is riding on a duck.. they do that (the duck is from Mo Creatures, and they ride chickens too)

I've cunningly trapped the fairies in the house, I'm hoping they will stay there (I don't think they despawn once "tamed")... so she'll always have "pet" fairies... if that works, I've suggested she makes a glass enclosure for them

Texturepack
? Girlcraft 16x W.I.P ? Updated for 1.3 - Minecraft Forums

Fairy Mod
[1.3_01] Fairy Mod V2 - Minecraft Forums

Last edited by Obsi; 28th August 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30th March 2011, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

heh - 'for miniObsi' - suuuure!

You have to love this aspect of MC - a simple reskin and it can appeal to all sorts of markets.

Nice one Obsi!
Old 30th March 2011, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cheeky

lol, yes I'm a girl, but I do not like pink.... The aqua cobblestone and purple bricks/halfblocks are cool, I admit.... I like the purply hue on the smoothstone, that's quite pretty.... the sand is ok..... That's its good points...

The yellow dirt is weird and confusing (the stable has a dirt roof - it looks like cheese!)....but the pink wood/crafting bench/chest, and the pink bed with clouds and stuff is just sickening - not to mention the GUI is pink (*twitch*) .... and when you look at your inventory the background of where your character is, is a rainbow ...

no... I'll stick to default thanks

Old 30th March 2011, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8321 TOG Silver Level Supporter

It's pretty wierd when you think of it, why would girls like pink more than boys? I can't think of any genetical reason, it must all be upbringing, imprinting.
Girls are supposed to like pink so they do, but then when they grow up and become full Obsis they realize they actually don't like pink after all
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cheeky

LOL, actually I never liked pink.... not that I can remember... I did have pink curtains in my room, but mum made those... and I had a reversible bedspread which was pink one side blue the other, and I used it the blue side up.

I remember when I finally got a say in decorating my room, I had a purple with white spots bedspread and curtains, and purple with white hearts wallpaper (which was the only purple wallpaper the place had) .... my bed was a white metal with brass knobs.. My sister ... she had pink ballerina curtains and bedspread and pink floral wallpaper... and a pink bed...

-- but then I was more of what you'd call a tomboy I guess.

It is interesting though, how it's almost expected that pink=girls, blue=boys... which is further reinforced by the fact that generally when you have a baby if it's a girl you'll get everything given to you in pink, and blue if its a boy... rarely people will give yellow to be "neutral". I dressed MiniObsi mostly in purple or "neutral" colours as an infant - and because she wasn't wearing pink with a bow headband on, I constantly got "ohh, he's cute" comments... and if I'd correct them I often got told that I should dress her in pink, and put bows in her hair so people would know. *sigh*

It's the same as playing with dolls or trucks... there is no reason why a boy couldn't play with dolls or a girl play with trucks, but we've placed gender on toys as well as colours, and always give a girl a doll and a boy a truck... and think there is something "gay" about a boy wanting to play barbies...

In my Sociology class we watched some really interesting videos, where they did things like take a group of women and a group of babies... they dressed the babies in pink and let the women play with them - they were all gentle, soft spoken, used the dolls and "girly" things to play with them... they took the babies away and dressed them in blue, and all the women switched to being louder, bouncing them on their knees and more "rough" play, and giving them "boy" things to play with.

It seems so ingrained in society to have these preconceived ideas about how to treat each gender, what colours you ascribe to them and what sorts of activities they should do... that we do without even being aware were doing it. Which is quite sad.

Old 30th March 2011, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Yeah - never thought about it really.
I would assume that girls like pink )or think they do) because a lot of content aimed at them is pink.

Princesses and fairy's and part dresses and tv shows all with a high pink content, so they start to associate the colour with the content.

As to why the content is so high in pink, can only imagine that it's down to stereotyping.

My wife is totally not a girly girl never has been, but my daughter is almost the stereotype for girly girls - even though she has not been persuaded to be anything other than she is.

If I Showed her this package, I would never get on MC again - the boy pretty much owns the desktop, the daughter would be on my lappy, and my wife will not let me play games on hers.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
It's pretty wierd when you think of it, why would girls like pink more than boys? I can't think of any genetical reason, it must all be upbringing, imprinting.
Girls are supposed to like pink so they do, but then when they grow up and become full Obsis they realize they actually don't like pink after all

Historically, pink is a boy's colour. It is a 20th century construct that changed it to girls.

Quoting from Pink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In Western culture, the practice of assigning pink to an individual gender began in the 1920s[12] or earlier.[13] From then until the 1940s, pink was considered appropriate for boys because being related to red it was the more masculine and decided color, while blue was considered appropriate for girls because it was the more delicate and dainty color, or related to the Virgin Mary.[14][15][16] Since the 1940s, the societal norm was inverted; pink became considered appropriate for girls and blue appropriate for boys, a practice that has continued into the 21st century.[17]
Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheeky

You're right, a lot of girls stuff is pink, mostly I think because we expect it to be, so marketing goes with it.

MiniObsi is a girly girl - though I was pretty happy when she asked to stay behind after school the other day so she could play football with the boys (much as I hate football myself). It's good to have a balance.

She's a bit unhappy because her PC (a cast off, destined for the tip) isn't connected to the net, nor capable of playing anything more complicated that solitare... so she has to use my work PC to play.... and guess what colour her PC is (I painted her keyboard, monitor and case bubblegum pink for her)

Old 30th March 2011, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8321 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
It's the same as playing with dolls or trucks... there is no reason why a boy couldn't play with dolls or a girl play with trucks, but we've placed gender on toys as well as colours, and always give a girl a doll and a boy a truck... and think there is something "gay" about a boy wanting to play barbies...
That reminds me of a hilarious commercial I saw once:
YouTube - Tulipan Condom Tv Commercial Hilarious!!!
According to it, playing with barbies is probably the manliest thing you could do as a boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
MiniObsi is a girly girl - though I was pretty happy when she asked to stay behind after school the other day so she could play football with the boys (much as I hate football myself). It's good to have a balance.
This is also interesting, as long as it's a girl doing boy stuff, it's a good balance and something to be happy about, but if it was a boy wanting to do girly stuff you'd be a lot more hesitant. Even I would be that and I would like to consider myself pretty openminded
Boys have to do ONLY boy stuff or they're gay, girls can do girl stuff, but they can ALSO do boy stuff, and if they do it might even be positive! Girls really have everything going their way
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cheeky

LOL, I like that ad

Quote:
This is also interesting, as long as it's a girl doing boy stuff, it's a good balance and something to be happy about, but if it was a boy wanting to do girly stuff you'd be a lot more hesitant
Yes, it is quite unfair isn't it. I honestly don't know how I'd go raising a boy who wanted to dress up as pink fairies and play barbies... I'd like to think I'm open minded enough not to let it bother me, but I would always have in the back of my mind that while I may think it's ok, general society wouldn't and he would be teased if people found out.

Though if you notice, a lot more men these days are wearing pink, having facials, wearing jewellery and other things that used to be more the female domain. So perhaps society is changing.... slowly...

Though encouraging girls to do "boy" things isn't always considered a good thing... If we do, we're considered to be a "tomboy", which isn't exactly a term of endearment.. though not as offensive as being labelled a sissy or gay.

Quote:
Girls really have everything going their way
Well I don't know about that there still is a fair amount of inequality - You wouldn't often find a female playing competitive spots among males for example... While we may encourage them to play football after school with their friends, not many would be accepted into a professional football club... because that's generally the domain of males... and we have things like special "women's basketball" etc. But certainly there are some areas where it's good to be female particularly if you blow a tire or something!