Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st April 2011, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Minecraft Portable

For those who may wish to try out beta version 1.4 without affecting their existing 1.3_01 install that enables then to play on the TOG server.

Minecraft Portable 2.5.4 (+ Java Portable) [b1.4 compat.] - Minecraft Forums

Opti's tried it out and it seems to work ok. Lags a bit at times if run from a slow USB, but presumably you could run it from a directory on your hard drive instead.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd April 2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Looking at this a bit more, it appears to be working by setting the environment variable %AppData% to the portable minecraft directory. As such it will affect any other applications that may reference the variable.

So you could likely get away with only running minecraft and minimal background programs but would risk issues or data loss running multiple foreground applications.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8320 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Looking at this a bit more, it appears to be working by setting the environment variable %AppData% to the portable minecraft directory. As such it will affect any other applications that may reference the variable.

So you could likely get away with only running minecraft and minimal background programs but would risk issues or data loss running multiple foreground applications.
A smarter way in that case would be to build a bat-file that:
1. temporary store current %AppData% in another variable
2. change %AppData% to where you want the game files to be stored
3. openes minecraft and wait for it to close again
4. change %AppData% back using the temp created in 1.

This would work as long as you don't run any other program while running minecraft.

However I'm not sure 3 will work, I seem to remember when I tried to get it to work I never could (it's the waiting to close bit that is hard).
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Actually I couldn't keep my paws off this problem and created a pretty simple solution (it was easier than I thought thanks to remembering that the variable is only modified in the local prompt and not globally).

Paste this in a text file:
Code:
set appdata=C:\Minecraft    <--- change this to whatever directory you want the Minecraft data files to be stored in
start Minecraft.exe
Name the text file something like "Minecraft updated.bat" or something, the only important thing is to change the .txt to .bat as file ending.

Then just place the bat-file in the same director you put Minecraft.exe in.
If you want to start the newest version of Minecraft you start Mineraft updated.bat, if you want to start the version you can play with on TOG servers you start the normal Minecraft.exe.

A fun thing you can do if you have several computers connected on a network is to set the path to a network share and thus the clients on all computers will get updated at the same time, and they will share the save files!
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 2nd April 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
A smarter way in that case would be to build a bat-file that:
1. temporary store current %AppData% in another variable
2. change %AppData% to where you want the game files to be stored
3. openes minecraft and wait for it to close again
4. change %AppData% back using the temp created in 1.

This would work as long as you don't run any other program while running minecraft.
That seems to be essentially what it does. It also adds a few other error checks and messages in, and I think has the option of running in a temp dir on hard drive and then saving back to USB on completion of play.

Quote:
Actually I couldn't keep my paws off this problem and created a pretty simple solution (it was easier than I thought thanks to remembering that the variable is only modified in the local prompt and not globally).
So you're saying it would only be what's run from the batch file that would be affected by the changed variable. I hadn't considered this and a post by someone in the thread on the forum had seemed to support that another external application had been impacted. It was an earlier version of the MCPortable wrapper though.

Playing:
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
So you're saying it would only be what's run from the batch file that would be affected by the changed variable. I hadn't considered this and a post by someone in the thread on the forum had seemed to support that another external application had been impacted. It was an earlier version of the MCPortable wrapper though.
Yes, all prompt instances will have their own local copy of all system variables. If you change any of them they are only changed for that prompt and not the entire system. Any program started from that prompt will use the modified variables. And as batch-files will start a new prompt the same holds for those.

So starting minecraft from that batch file will only apply the appdata to that particular instance of minecraft. If you started another instance of minecraft normally at the same time it would use the normal system variables and would not be affected.
GW2 characters:

Old 3rd April 2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Thanks for the confirmation.

Playing:
Old 5th April 2011, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

Quote:
its the waiting to close bit thats hard
Incidentally, getting a batch script to hold until an exe finishes/closes is something i've been fighting the last few days (automating a lot of routines at work)

My solution is to place the 'start blah.exe' in a seperate batch script which your main one triggers through 'call'. Seems happier to wait for execution that way.

Not really related to MC, just thought i'd throw it out there...batch scripting is becoming something of a 'lost art'

Last edited by Celem; 5th April 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Celem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celem View Post
Not really related to MC, just thought i'd throw it out there...batch scripting is becoming something of a 'lost art'
Join the light side. Use Linux, where you can write shell scripts to your heart's content. You know you want to :^)

Sorontar
ps. we have been using shell scripts to do all sort of things for the tog MC servers.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 03:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 408

Lurking

hehe yeah. I'd take bash over batch anyday.

But you try convincing a company (other than software developers) of that...