Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th April 2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default minecraft Beta 1.4.01 client

Hey guys.

me and angelic are just wondering if anyone knows where to get the minecraft beta 1.4.01 client from as we have just purchased the game and when downloaded from the minecraft site it is the 1.5 client.
Chibi Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th April 2011, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 668

Inspired

To run with the 1.4 client, I believe all you need to do is replace your minecraft.jar file with the 1.4 version.

In explorer, navigate to: %appdata%/.minecraft/bin/
(Just copy/paste that into the address bar)

Make a copy of the minecraft.jar file there, and then try replacing it with this one:
-- link removed (see below) --
Each time you start, it'll ask if you want to update. Click NOT NOW.

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 25th April 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: -- link removed (see below) --
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Default woot

thanks mate that worked a treat
Chibi Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I've removed the above link as while the intent of providing it is admirable, it's against the Minecraft Terms and Conditions. We need to ensure that we don't place TOG in the position of condoning the breaking of a game's T&C/EULA's, in line with the TOG Code of Conduct. As such could I ask that people instead of posting publicly a link to such a call for help that one of the following solutions are considered:

1. Tools that downgrade your install via use of binary difference patches:
MC Nostaligia - [TOOL] Cyborg's Tools - Beta 1.5_01 Patches - Minecraft Forums
Minecraft Downgrader - Downgrade Tool
2. Provide assistance privately outside of public posting

I'll update our stickies so the above links remain accessible when this thread gets buried.

Sorry to have to pull out the rulebook. I've previously contacted Mojang in an attempt to get permission to host the previous version for a limited time to cater for lag in server updating but have received no response.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 25th April 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 668

Inspired

Thanks for those links. I wasn't sure if it was shakey ground as the .jar file can't be used in place of the .jar for the free "classic" version, so someone would have to have already pirated in order to make illegitimate use of the file. HOWEVER, that still doesn't excuse trying to get around their exclusive distribution rights. Rule book accepted wholeheartedly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
I've previously contacted Mojang in an attempt to get permission to host the previous version for a limited time to cater for lag in server updating but have received no response.
They're too busy counting all their dollar bills! Those things aren't going to count themselves. The game's not even launched yet, and so far they've made US$33 Million off it. That's pretty darn impressive, tbh.

Last edited by BlackD; 25th April 2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Source: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Minecraft
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote