TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th April 2011, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Default Mojang mentions Minecraft Modding

In Notch's latest blog (Information dump again! : The Word of Notch), he has mentioned many things. He confirmed that pistons aren't going to be the same as for the existing mod and that he has been working on his own style of mini maps. Given another thread in this forum (A question of ethics...), I think some may be interested in the confusion in Notch's mind about mods.

Quote:
One slightly bad news item is that I’m starting to get second thoughts about the modding API. People are already doing great mods, and there’s no way we’d be able to make an API good and dynamic enough to support all of the awesome things people are making. I still very much want modding to be a part of Minecraft, but I’m not convinced spending months writing an API that won’t satisfy people is the correct way to do so. There probably are better ways to do it.

The main problems we need to solve are preventing people from making money off our work (unless they have a license deal with us), and making sure mods don’t break with each game update. People obviously already CAN make mods, so the ability to make them isn’t the biggest priority.
Hmm.
Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th April 2011, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Should we have a sticky thread of the 'TOG approved' user mods. I'm guessing that there won't ever be a large number (am I right in assuming that at this stage MiniMap is the only allowed mod?). It would provide a single location to discuss mods and as each update is released there would most likely only be some minor changes to the list.
Old 27th April 2011, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Notch has elaborated on the plans for Mods. It is too much to copy here so go visit it at The plan for mods : The Word of Notch.

In summary:
  • Mod developers will have to register
  • Mod developers will get access to raw code, uncensored
  • Mods can't be sold without a suitable license but can be used by Mojang in the the game
More was said at The cost of the mod api : The Word of Notch

Last edited by Sorontar; 27th April 2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: edit the sale bit
Old 27th April 2011, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

sweet just release the minecraft code to modders under the GPL and you get an awesome platform. sounds like a brilliant idea, and one that will create a swarm of totally seperate and awesome games.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

It sounds like there may not be a centralised api, which may make it more likely for mods to conflict with each other as they might all see the need to work on the same Mojang code, rather than work through the code of an api. Furthermore, Mojang may decide that mods can only be distributed through its website/db, yet not make any effort to help them beyond giving them the latest code when it is released to customers.

There are still a lot of questions. Mojang is not good at being clear. They shouldn't have said anything until they had got it finalised IMHO.

Sorontar
ps. Notch made a point of saying that the code won't be open source. Mojang will still own it and control it.

Old 27th April 2011, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Not too sure that access to the raw source code necessarily helps the situation greatly. To ensure interoperability of mods, particularly in a server environment while the game is still in development you do really need something like a modding API or master linkage mod like Bukkit.

@Splat
The minimap mod (that shows top down view of the immediate landscape surrounds and lets you set way-points) is used by a number of players on the TOG server, and is the only one at the moment that I'm aware of that fairly innocuously adds to an individuals Single Player and SMP game, and as such we're accepting of. As a result I'm uninclined to make a sticky for acceptable mods presently. By all means continue to discuss mods in the forum in specific or broad terms - for example your A question of ethics... thread has made for some interesting reading and viewpoints.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Sorontar; 27th April 2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling for clarity
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Mojang is not good at being clear. They shouldn't have said anything until they had got it finalised IMHO.
Yes, given the size of the community, throwing unclear / incompletely thought out ideas or possibly proposed additions to the game out on your blog like Notch/Mojang does is bound to end in lots of confusion and debate about how "Notch promised xxxxxxx and now he's not delivering." It's the price they pay for engaging with their customers to such an extent.

Not that I dislike the engagement as such. People just need to realise such engagement is more a fluid process and shouldn't be taken as a series of firm commitments.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
Not that I dislike the engagement as such. People just need to realise such engagement is more a fluid process and shouldn't be taken as a series of firm commitments.
Not everyone understands how they apply their Agile development model (Agile software development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It has a lot to do with feature adding according to the need, and less with step-by-step sequential production. Not that I understand it much..... never taught that sort of thing.

Old 28th April 2011, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 560

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Not everyone understands how they apply their Agile development model (Agile software development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It has a lot to do with feature adding according to the need, and less with step-by-step sequential production. Not that I understand it much..... never taught that sort of thing.
There is also a huge (and I mean enormous) difference between an Agile development process internal to a company and trying to expose an Agile development methodology to the world. Exposing it to the world invites total chaos.
Old 28th April 2011, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
There is also a huge (and I mean enormous) difference between an Agile development process internal to a company and trying to expose an Agile development methodology to the world. Exposing it to the world invites total chaos.
So, are you saying that revealing the code will show evidence of the outcome of Agile processes, but not the process itself, and hence the context of the code is missing? I deal with Knowledge Management a fair bit and this seems to indicate that there may well be a major information gap that may impair production and harm the culture within the mod and player communities. I hope not.

Sorontar