Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th May 2011, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9173

Default Both Servers are updated to MC Beta 1.5.02

The Survival and Creative servers are now updated to Beta 1.5.02 (all clients will be on 1.5.01).

The new features are (courtesy of http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history):
  • Added Weather.
  • Added Statistics and Achievements.
  • New Items (Detector rail, Powered Rail, Birch and Pine/Spruce Saplings).
  • New Item Web. Cannot be found naturally.
  • SHIFT-clicking on something in a chest will immediately move the selected item(s) into your inventory and vice-versa.
  • Birch and Pine/Spruce trees now drop Birch and Pine/Spruce saplings, respectively.
  • Huge performance improvements for old and slow computers.
  • Crafting a ladder now produces 2 ladders.
  • If lightning strikes a pig, it becomes a Zombie Pigman.
  • If lightning strikes a Creeper, it becomes electrified and will have a much more powerful explosion.
  • New settings in options:
    • Ability to change GUI size (Small, Normal, Large, Auto).
    • Advanced OpenGL (Occlusion Culling: doesn't render blocks that the player can't "see", helps performance in cards that support it).
  • Items can now be smelted with Saplings with the same smelting power as Sticks.
  • Dropped items in flowing water move faster than before.
  • Pigs that die by burning now drop cooked porkchops upon death.
  • Redstone dust can be placed on snow.
  • Wolves are more common, even in non-taiga/forest biomes.
  • Unarmed damage was increased from to .
  • Pressing tab will switch between input boxes.

Bug Fixes:
  • You are only 'on' a ladder (can climb it/fall slowly) if your lower half is in the ladder block, rather than any part of you. It is no longer possible to climb a one-block gap in a ladder, or a ladder that starts at eye level.
  • On fancy graphics, the sides of grass blocks are now biome-specific and match the shade on the top.
  • You can now move through flowing water at previous speed.
  • Wolves have a better understanding of doors. They will go through doors most of the time, but will sometimes get stuck on the 3 pixel thickness of the door. They will eventually back up for another go at the opened door.
  • The lighting on portals and ice has been fixed (previously had triangles on the blocks) when using Smooth Lighting.
  • Stairs are no longer transparent.
  • On SMP, the health of wolves are now synchronized between server and client, causing wolves to only whimper when low on health, opposed to all of the time.
  • Redstone in off state is red again.
  • Crops hit with water now drop seeds and wheat, as opposed to just wheat.
  • Moving minecarts will continue to move if the world is closed.
  • The Mojang logo is the correct size when Minecraft is maximized.(Not on a mac)
  • The exploit to make chests three or more side by side by placing a water source and placing a chest in that source has been fixed.
  • Shift + F2 doesn't create massive screenshots (more than 1 gigabyte in size) anymore.
Various Bug fixes were made in 1.5.01 and 1.5.02. See the wiki for details.

In addition, some mod changes have been made. Previously, for some people, they would spawn at the /home location. This has been turned off due to the addition of beds. Also on our Survival server there are now warmup and cooldown times for /home. There is now 5 seconds between when you type /home and when it teleports you. There is 5 minutes between when you can reuse /home again. This includes setting a new /home location. These are trial settings for the purpose of making Survival a little harder and a bit more effort. We realise that it may change your gameplay a little and will review it as we go. Don't forget about the Creative server. These restrictions aren't planned to be used on that server.

Have fun in the rain, but beware of the mobs sneaking up on you in the daylight.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 6th May 2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add Creative
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th May 2011, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Can't thank you enough for the effort Sor - much appreciated.

(The boy actually woke me this morning by piling into my bed happily exclaiming "It's Raining!")

(edit: it felt oddly good to finally click "YES" when asked if you want to update!)

Last edited by Bazz; 6th May 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
Can't thank you enough for the effort Sor - much appreciated.

(edit: it felt oddly good to finally click "YES" when asked if you want to update!)
I whole heartily endorse these comments.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Innocent

Right -played a bit, no weather yet

for the record - I hate the new warm up times.
There is a fine line between making the game 'harder' and making it a pain in the arse to do anything, and these warm ups for me fall squarely into the "bloody annoying for the sake of it" bucket.

If it's up for a vote, put me down as a nay!
Old 6th May 2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9173

Quote:
for the record - I hate the new warm up times.
If it's up for a vote, put me down as a nay!
It's not up for a vote but we are trying to keep the worlds interesting and a bit of a challenge. This was one way.

So Bazz, given that it just adds 5 secs to teleporting home (which isn't that long), why do you find it annoying? How often do you use /home and why?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Innocent

Hey Sor,

I understand the reasoning behind it, keeping it interesting etc, but it's just annoying.

5 secs to home sure, but then 300 for the next one - so moving stuff between places is awful - but the real crunch for me is that it completely stifles game play.

I can /spawn if I want at anytime, but it may take more than 5 minutes of game time to get where I want to go by walking - so when i want to go back to somewhere (say between my own and another players home) I find I have to sit around for 5 mins twidling my thumbs.

Im all for 'hard' but pointlessly wasting time seems stupid.
The only reason I can see for this is:
a: making sure people loose their stuff when they fall in lava
b: forcing people to walk everywhere

Add to this gaming is something that I want to enjoy, this aint helping - this is like making me grind in an MMO - who loves that?
Who really goes "wow I enjoyed that 5 minute walk so i can empty my inventory, to walk back for five minutes so I can fill it again!"

Hard is one thing, making it less fun another.

I get the idea, and respect that this is the direction this server is taking, I guess it's just not the way I want to play.
Of course there is the creative server, but no-one is ever really there (me included) so i might just as well play single player.
As much as I thought I would not like this server, I do - but these warm up times are really annoying and it changes game play a lot.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8321 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
I can /spawn if I want at anytime, but it may take more than 5 minutes of game time to get where I want to go by walking - so when i want to go back to somewhere (say between my own and another players home) I find I have to sit around for 5 mins twidling my thumbs.
I almost never use the /home and /spawn commands, but I think I see things a bit differently.
When I notice that something takes 5 minutes I think: What can I do to decrease this time? I see everything in a physical way and usually it doesn't even cross my mind that I could use warp points, so instead I solve the problem with the means I have ingame.
Usually this ends up being a new rail line. Have you checked out what sort of rail lines are available in your area? We begin to have a pretty extensive underground network and adding your place to it shouldn't be too hard.

I think this is the general idea behind the SMP server; instead of jumping around with warp commands we should move in the world as it was intended by game mechanics. When the nether is added in 1.6 we will have even more quick travel options without having to use warps
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 6th May 2011 at 10:33 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 920

Just be glad it's this way, some of us wanted no warps from the start.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Didn't realize there was an addition time limit between them. I had noticed the warm up period and really thought it seemed like a good idea for the server type.

While not quite as bad as Daedalus I also generally walk everywhere. Its why I made such an extensive tunnel system. I usually think hmm thats a dangerous run can I extend a skyroad to there or tunnel hmm. I'm still learning rails but so far my line line I made to zip from one project base to the next is working out well for me.

I don't think 300 is too long as I only need it occasionally to return home to get some stuff from my monster trap and go back. Otherwise I do all my gathering/smelting on site. So sounds ok to me.

Just as an off topic thing, even with the new change to ladders the water ladders seem to be working fine for anyone who was wondering.
Old 7th May 2011, 05:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I'm with Bazz on this. We are basically playing a construction game where we have some danger elements rather than the other way around. This is like placing a DRM into the game.