Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2011, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default Who plays Dwarf Fortress

I was wondering how many Minecrafters also play Dwarf Fortress. It has been a while since I've played it but picked up the Lazy Newb Pack during the week and was really impressed with where the game has developed. It's the sort of game I'd imagine many of the MineCraft players would also enjoy.

It is very complex but also very rewarding (and its free). Lazy Newb Pack can be downloaded here if anyone wants to give it a try. Lazy Newb Pack is a collection of mods and textures for Dwarf Fortress already installed and ready to run.

Old 6th May 2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8351 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I'm not exactly sure what dwarf fortress is. I've heard a lot about it mentioned together with minecraft. I've also checked it out on youtube and as far as I understand it's minecraft in ascii
So I don't really see any use in playing a game that looks like the Matrix from outside to the layperson when there is a perfectly fine 3D-version of the same thing
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

It basically is an ASCII game but the tilesets make it more pleasing on the eye. ASCII is actually a good option for this game because of its underlying complexity where there are thousands of different sorts of items. The game is an indie and the ASCII approach has allowed the developer to focus on the game rather than be limited by graphics.

What I like about the game is that it generates a whole world first, places various races and beasts in the world. From there it runs up to 400 years of history - generating myths, heroes and wars. Then you come along and select where you want to start as an expedition of 7 dwarves.

The civs you interact with are the same civs from the world generation phases. Some will attack you and others will trade with you.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8351 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Sounds a lot like civilization?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote