TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th May 2011, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1291

Default Questions about mods

Hey all,

Having a blast here in the Minecraft division. I have now moved far south east on the survival map to start a mine and Roennick (sp?) was kind enough to teach me about strip mining. Thanks to everyone that has been helpful.

I have a few questions that thought up when looking at some screenshots of Splatís.

Mods. What mods should I really be using on the survival server? I am aware that there are many mods that are not allowed, and I really appreciate that. I expect that the mods that are allowed are ui or texture related. I would love to buff up my minecraft with some great mods that will be helpful and are allowed. As an example, I see that Splat has a small map on his UI.

Can you all give me some suggestions?

Lastly, I want to NOT look like the default minecraft guy. Can you point me in the best direction for a good skin? My daughters also want to look like girls!

Thanks again.

Old 10th May 2011, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Here is a good page for minecraft skins: The Skindex - Minecraft Skins
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

As far as I know there is only one mod allowed on the servers and that is MiniMap. The process of installing it is a little complex if you are unused to .jar files but basically it goes along these lines:

Download the following files:
WinRAR (install this one)
Zans MiniMap
ModLoader (link is a little way down the post)

Open MiniMap and ModLoader and extract the contents to a temp folder.
Close MineCraft.
Now watch this YouTube tutorial on installing the mod:

His steps are:
Navigate to %appdata%
Open .minecraft/bin
Open minecraft.jar in WinRAR
Copy all the mod files you placed earlier in the temp folder into the .minecraft.jar file.
Delete the directory META-INF if it exists inside minecraft.jar
Restart MineCraft.
It sounds complicated but isn't really too bad.

The texture pack I use is MixCraft. It requires a patcher to be run before installing so it is best to read the instructions that come with the pack before using it. But it really is worth it. The textures are higher resolution and look fantastic.
Old 10th May 2011, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great, thanks splat! I will check that out.

I do have a texture pack installed. It is Misa's realistic. Do you suggest Mixcraft over that? I wonder if one is better than the other.

If anyone has any feedback on Misa's compared to Mixcraft, that would be great. I already use a patcher to enable Misa's and that is probably the same on as Mixcraft. I will try it out and see which one looks better.

Thanks again.
Old 10th May 2011, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I just downloaded Misa and it also uses the same patcher (so no need to run the patcher each time). It looks great. Higher res than Mixcraft and Misa is a little 'duller' which I like. I think I'll use this one now. Thanks.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Steampunk Skin.

I have used a few others, but keep coming back to this - of course I love steampunk, so no real surprise, but it is a quality skin and a lot of fun.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!at View Post
As far as I know there is only one mod allowed on the servers and that is MiniMap.
As some are aware, there was a thread recently that prompted some discussion on the subject of client side mods being used on the TOG server.

Isthiriel made mention of a couple of mods in addition to Zan's MiniMap mod:

Improved Chat - A must have. Provides editing functionality in the chat window and will span messages if you type too much (rather than cutting it off). While it allows colouring your chat text, it precludes changing the colour of your name which designates player groups on our server (please note if it provides the ability in future versions, players are not to utilise it for that purpose).

Convenient Inventory - Provides some inventory tweaks / management shortcuts. Enables additional stacking on single player, but this does not work on multiplayer - thus is fairly innocuous when switching between the two modes.

I've subsequently tried them out and have come across no real issues with them being used on the server. My testing seems to indicate they remain in keeping with the intent of the servers (particularly relevant to the survival server) and are unlikely to be objected to by other players.

It is of course possible that now or in the future these particular mods may provide, intentionally or otherwise, functionality that clearly would not be acceptable on the server. Players shouldn't take this post as a blanket unconditional approval of the mods, but keep in mind the discussions and views put forward in the previous thread.

Note that there are other mods in the same threads I've linked above that are not appropriate for the TOG server. There are also other Minimap mods which come as part of packs which also contain unacceptable mods/functions.

In regards to texture packs, pretty much any are fine with the exception of those which contain transparent textures for blocks which should not be transparent and are intended for use in cheating.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1190

Relaxed

the mod i use for mining.... is to switch between picks. otherwise its naked real minecraft for me. just how i play it. :P

Jeff Biscuit
Primexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does the inventory moving functions work on survival for that inventory mod linked above?
Old 14th May 2011, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

There is already an inventory moving function in SMP that I think some have missed; if you hold shift and click a stack in your inventory it will be moved to the chest and vice versa.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote