Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th May 2011, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1328

Default Automated rail help

Hey all,

I have re-created an automated cart dispenser that is shown in the linked youtube video. The video has 3 different cart systems, it is the 3rd that I have done.

I am having one issue, and that is 4:27 mark that I have linked here:

YouTube - Minecraft: 101 Ways to Use Powered Rail (Minus 9

The rail goes under a little bridge with a switch on top. When incoming into the station it goes straight into the center console and stops. Then when you get out of the cart, the cart goes back into the dispenser.

Can anyone help me with this switch, bridge entrance function and how I can get that to work?

Also, something silly. I cant seem to jump into a minecart.... ? I guess I have never tried it before, but I just can't get in LOL.. I am sure it is something simple.

Thanks all.

Old 14th May 2011, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Right click a cart to get into it...

The rest is pretty hard to explain on a forum like this to someone who's not that experienced in redstone. You're probably better off asking someone ingame so they can help you hands on.

I have a station that use that very method if you want to see one in action, it's even more automated than his example. It's at my mob tower. You can get to it by taking the southern branch from spawn station.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I got these things figured out after all.

Daed, sorry I missed your chat in game, I was browsing the web...

Working good!! And I put together a signal shortener for the dispenser, so you dont have to click the lever quickly.

Now I just need to mine enough gold to get my tracks to my mine lol.

Thanks,
Old 14th May 2011, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think I read somewhere that the optimal spacing was 23 iron tracks to every gold track, so try to space them that way for optimal performance to value
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 14th May 2011, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Daed, that is exactly what I was hoping to find...so, on a flat surface, to you go 23 iron, 1 gold, 23 iron, 1 gold, etc?

And on uphills, do you have to go all gold?

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 674

Inspired

Dday - yep, he was talking on a flat surface - 23 iron, then 1 gold. For uphills, there's two ways of doing it. Either stagger your uphill into sections of 6 diagonals high, in which case it'll require a 4xPowered Rail to boost you up 6 levels at a time, or have powered rail in the rise, in which case you'll need powered rail every third segment (and two blocks at the bottom to get you going - occasionally you might need them closer to maintain speed).

Also, I think I should introuduce you to:
Minecraft Wiki - Minecraft Wiki

This site will answer almost every question that you have. I don't mind your questions at all, but when time is of the issue and you don't want to wait 6 hours for the next reply, this is the place to go. Just put whatever you want to search for in the search box and away you go.

Here's the page on Powered Rail:
Powered Rail - Minecraft Wiki

Note: Per Notch's twitters about the 1.6 update, don't rely on any comments about "overspeed" boosting using parallel carts. They might work at this time, they might not work in the future.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Appearantly according to the wiki it's 25 iron and then 1 gold for a constant 8 m/s, so I guess I was two short

It should also be mentioned that notch plans on making the booster track more powerful, so these values will probably change once 1.6 goes live.
GW2 characters:

Old 14th May 2011, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

I think the 25 figure was referring to when it was made a little more powerful in a future update wasn't it?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 05:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I think the 25 figure was referring to when it was made a little more powerful in a future update wasn't it?
This is what it says in the wiki: Because Notch announced that powered rails are speedier in Patch 1.6, the following values will no longer be accurate after Patch 1.6

After that is where the 25 rail figure is written, so I assume those figures are for 1.5.
GW2 characters: