Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th May 2011, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Default Treasure hunting for Junior players (6pm AEST, Sat 28th May)

Hunt is on this weekend on the Creative server, Here are the rules.

• Anyone is welcome to join, however it is just a hunt geared to what kids might want. If we get too many people on, we'll have to give priority to the kids and their adult companions
  • The hunt area is out-of-bounds until the start of the hunt (6pm AEST, Sat 28th May) - (except for those working on the hunt) we don't want any surprises spoiled. I'll give you the warp name in game just before we start.
  • Participants must start with an empty inventory and wearing no armour. You will start in a room under the centre tower. This room has chests (like a cloakroom) for people to store any treasure they find, if they wish. Put your name on a sign above the chest to claim that chest - no stealing from other people's chests!
  • No building anything and no destroying anything - No chests are hidden in ways you need to build to reach them, and none are buried. Some chests are hidden in undergound caves, these are well lit enough that they can be found with no additional digging or lighting - provided you find the entrance to the underground
  • There will be lots of chests - The chest number is marked with stack of gravel inside (3 pieces of gravel = chest #3), don't remove the gravel
  • Once you find a chest please let us know which number chest was found

I've tried to ensure that all caves are blocked off to only a small, area to prevent anyone getting lost, and there are no hazards like lava. The tall structures like the "ruins" aren't high enough to die falling off, however the viewing tower in the centre of the area is (if you climb onto the outer glass "railing" and fall off). Originally I had a fall-proof edging but it spoiled the view, so climbing on that edge is at your own peril

And you should keep all limbs inside the rollercoaster at all times!

Obsi

Last edited by Sorontar; 26th May 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added server, and it now thinks I rather than Obsi wrote the post!
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th May 2011, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1464

Lurking

This is a great idea.

time wise, during the day on a weekend prob be best for me and the boys

but could also do between say 6pm - 730ish week nights depending on permission from the high-overlord (wife )
on Proudmoore
Dela Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

I agree, top idea!
(and my times are exactly as DeLa Poer's)
Old 16th May 2011, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

That works well for us too - so should we say the 6pm on the Sat after the Survival PvP hunt event?

So far I've walled off a large section for the hunt to take place in, in the middle of nowhere (including what was an unexplored chunk, so I assume nobody has ventured into this area at all), which will have a warp to it.

(this bit is secret - so don't tell them) ....

..because it's for kids, I thought I'd try to make it a bit more interesting than just hunting in plain terrain... so I've made a tower in the centre we can keep watch from (you can see the whole area from it)... a basic cart track down into a small cavern system to explore (and one back up, so there are no collisions heh)...... a sort of "ruins" place for them to climb around on.... a (very basic) sunken/broken ship, and I'm working on a little village area, with houses to explore... and there is also another small natural cave section they can access easily while just exploring in a forest area...

I've covered over and blocked up a great many cave systems and natural holes, so that nobody can get lost or fall (sadly, some of them were cool!)... so it should be nice and safe for all. Falling off the top part of the ruins isn't tall enough to cause death, but it does take off the majority of your life (but it regenerates, so its ok)... and I'll make sure there is plenty of treasure for them to find, because we don't want any upset kids!

What treasures do the kids want?

I imagine things like bones for the wolves (since you can't get them without spawning them on creative)... perhaps coloured wools or dyes? Novelty things like golden apples, cake and cookies? ...glowstone?..

Ask the kids what they would like, and let me know.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

MadMaxWon would enjoy the treasure hunt for the kids, however she is only around on alternate weekends. The weekend after the PVP hunt is good.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
MadMaxWon would enjoy the treasure hunt for the kids, however she is only around on alternate weekends. The weekend after the PVP hunt is good.
MadMax, just to clarify, is that

"The weekend, after the PVP hunt (time)..." - i.e. 21st May

or

"The weekend after the PVP hunt (weekend)..." - i.e. 28th May
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

"The weekend after the PVP hunt (weekend)..." - i.e. 28th May is good for us. Cheers.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheeky

right - ok good thing Thermal thought to check!

Old 17th May 2011, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

my kids would be up for it. don't think I will an extra PC by then, so need to choose which two of the three can play... doh.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cheeky

ok... reminder that this is on this weekend - and I've edited the first post to include the rules.

Last edited by Obsi; 26th May 2011 at 01:51 PM.