Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th June 2011, 12:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25479

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Yes, that was shown for the test survival world (gate1 leads to nether1 leads to gate2 leads to nether1). However, let's just work with the rules for now. Once we become better at making the portals, we may change the rules. I aim to make startup portals at least at 0,0 in both world and nether and probably near each spawn (the Nether does have a spawn, though on dying you return to the real world spawn or your bed location).

Sorontar
No worries mate, just making sure people knew, I had no idea and did a bunch of research to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it and its sort of "buried" in the minecraft forums somewhat.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th June 2011, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
No worries mate, just making sure people knew, I had no idea and did a bunch of research to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it and its sort of "buried" in the minecraft forums somewhat.
Nether Portal Science - Minecraft Forum

This has some advice on how to sort out your portals on your private worlds, but is a little technical (and has awful but well intended videos).

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

While I don't plan on making a nether fort at my old base. There is a preexisting portal there:

TOG Minecraft Survival World Map (Day) - 29 May 2011 - rendered using Tectonicus

Portal position (114.5, 107, 128.5)

Which is currently the closest to spawn fort. By the sounds of the mechanics it is probably close enough that others near spawn near portals may link to it, depending on where the cut off actually exists.

Also seems to be one the sorta opposite side of spawn as well from that one:

TOG Minecraft Survival World Map (Day) - 29 May 2011 - rendered using Tectonicus

Portal position (-295.5, 43, -269.5)

If there is space though I will probably make a small nether fort around my other nether portal where I currently working:

Portal position (-204.5, 32, -1032.5)

Have always liked the idea of making a fort in a real lake of lava And I think lampstone will be very nice for my sandstone palace.

Last edited by Misnik; 20th June 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

As the Portal option on the maps show, we have plenty of existing portals. Part of the adventure might be seeing where you end up when you come back through your portal

Oh and all these pre-existing portals will not have a "corresponding " gate in the Nether until someone actually goes through them.

Last edited by Sorontar; 20th June 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Okay, that is just a convenient reference point for portals.
[update: Actually, the Survival 0,0 location is at the road out the back of the Temple of the Cube, so it will be safe for me to put it there. The Creative 0,0 should be unused (well it was 6 months ago ) but I will check it later.]

Sorontar
Technically much of my base happens to be below the Temple of the Cube
But if you really have to put a portal there, put it in the tunnel system below the temple so there won't be any problems if you happen to portal over during night.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 08:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3669

Cynical

Doh,

Updated too early!! I miss read the title....

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Technically much of my base happens to be below the Temple of the Cube
But if you really have to put a portal there, put it in the tunnel system below the temple so there won't be any problems if you happen to portal over during night.
There is an existing very high roof hallway/stairway between the temple and the spawn fort locker room. The one the rail system zips through the upper level of. That would have plenty of room for a portal somewhere, and be easily accessible by walking to.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2754

Innocent

All your talk of portals and such has me frightened - How carelessly you throw around these gates into horror.

Mark my words -nothing good will come of it - not like my day when there was naught to mine but dirt, and a wood shovel with which to mine it, and we were happy for the privilege!

Nowadays all you youngsters speak of is "Portals" and "red stone" and god's be damned "Circuits" - twill end in tears, and there'll be none to blame but yourselves.

/whinging old man doom saying.

Woot! Update!

Last edited by Bazz; 21st June 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
All your talk of portals and such has me frightened - How carelessly you throw around these gates into horror.

Mark my words -nothing good will come of it - not like my day when there was naught to mine but dirt, and a wood shovel with which to mine it, and we were happy for the privilege!
Now Thermal.... with the portals and beds, players won't need /home or /tp or /spawn to get around any more. How about we remove all of those <evil grin>

Sorontar
ps. only kidding.... for now

Old 21st June 2011, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
Sorantar, did you let slip to Bazz that stone, iron and diamond tools/weapons wouldn't be available any more, in order to ramp up the survival difficulty?

* See Sorontar's P.S.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote