Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th June 2011, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9196

Default Updating to MC 1.6 on Tuesday + Nether rules

Depending on my RL restrictions, I will be updating the survival and creative servers to Minecraft Beta 1.6 on Tuesday night. The update will add all the normal Bukkit mods. They seem to have no problems we can't work around (hurrah!).

Note that we will be adding new rules relating to the construction of nether portals. The rules are
Nether portals can only be manually built in the real world.
No Nether portals are allowed to be manually built in the Nether.

Why, you may ask? The simple answer is that you have no way of knowing where the resulting real-world portal may end up being generated if you make a gate in the Nether. For all you know, it may end up being built in the middle of someone's prize rose garden. Also I am sure you don't want to have to remove that many obsidian blocks to remedy your mistake. Furthermore, how do you know what was originally where the generated portal now stands.

Doesn't that restrict exploring using the gates to go somewhere new? Not really. You just will have to go to the new area in the real world manually by foot or boat. Then you can make the portal and travel through to the nether to get to the portal back to starting point.

Yeah, but everywhere has been explored already on Survival. Not necessarily. Wait for the update

So if you want to get from realworld place A to realworld place B using the Nether, you have to make a gate at A and B. You can't make a gate at A, travel through the Nether and then make a gate that you hope will take you to B.

Hope that is clear. It means that all the gates you have already made can be used and you can add new ones.

Oh, and the Nether is open territory. No-one will have areas as such, but try not to interfere if someone is obviously making a serious construction. Commonsense and politeness is all we ask for.

Sorontar
ps. You are allowed to repair existing gates in the Nether, as long as there is a corresponding real-world gate already constructed.
pps. As usual, I will post messages when the updates are complete, and change the http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...map-links.html thread when the updates are being done.

Last edited by Sorontar; 20th June 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th June 2011, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8330 TOG Silver Level Supporter

As for the new portal rules, are they enforced or is it more like you shouldn't do it, but it's possible?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5631 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

what if I accedentily break the rules...... ya know like teleport a creeper to Daed's home???

good work mate.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's ok, I'll just redirect my mob tower to your home and literally flood it in creepers
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 20th June 2011, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
As for the new portal rules, are they enforced or is it more like you shouldn't do it, but it's possible?
The rules are mainly to make you all aware of what might happened if you go around the Nether making portals. We will know who made the portals.

If you accidentally build one in the Nether and it ends up in a bad place in the real world, then it is your responsibility to remove it, though if you tell admins, we might be able to undo your error.

Sorontar
ps. I don't know that mobs can teleport :P

Old 20th June 2011, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25484

Amused

About these rules...

Most portals are built closer than 1024 blocks in the "real world" from what I've found on my friends' server. The way Portals work is that they look for the "nearest" portal in the opposite world. If a portal is found within range it will connect to that one. It will only generate a new portal if there is no pre-existing portal within range in the other world.

This can cause a lot of problems with stepping through and ending out somebody else's Portal. Going back through takes you to theirs again. The only way to fix this is to map your ideal nether coords and build another portal there (it won't generate a new real world portal as an existing one, yours, is close).

The range checking is something like 1024 in the real world co-ords, and within 256 I think in the Nether? Maybe 128 actually. But that is centered on the portal's "preferred co-ordinate" (calculated by real world coord / 8 for nether, and nether coords * 8 for real world; ignoring height). If one is found close to that spot you can resolve the problem above (both pairs of portals now connect to their own).

[edit]
Edited for clarity.

PS - Be aware that building in the Nether is essentially eight times bigger than the real world. By this I mean that if you build a large structure, others will quickly find when they enter their portals that you've ended up building right over them. Basically leaving no nether for anyone else unless they hike far away.

Whatever your "general area" is for building, consider it eight times smaller in the nether to maintain sizes and not end up pissing off your neighbours.

PPS - I didn't mean this as a new rule as it kinda sounded but a suggestion.

We need you, Citizen!

Last edited by Reoh; 20th June 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
This can cause a lot of problems with stepping through and ending out somebody else's Portal. Going back through takes you to theirs again. The only way to fix this is to map your ideal nether coords and build another portal there (it won't generate a new real world portal as an existing one, yours, is close).
Yes, that was shown for the test survival world (gate1 leads to nether1 leads to gate2 leads to nether1). However, let's just work with the rules for now. Once we become better at making the portals, we may change the rules. I aim to make startup portals at least at 0,0 in both world and nether and probably near each spawn (the Nether does have a spawn, though on dying you return to the real world spawn or your bed location).

Sorontar

Old 20th June 2011, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
PS - Be aware that building in the Nether is essentially eight times bigger than the real world. By this I mean that if you build a large structure, others will quickly find when they enter their portals that you've ended up building right over them. Basically leaving no nether for anyone else unless they hike far away.
Hence, we do not expect people to build anything but protection for portals and pathways in the Nether. The Ghasts don't like developments in their backyards and are rather destructive in their own right.

Sorontar

Old 20th June 2011, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd prefer if you don't put a portal in 0,0, as that's pretty much in my base
I was hoping to build one there myself actually.
GW2 characters:

Old 20th June 2011, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
I'd prefer if you don't put a portal in 0,0, as that's pretty much in my base
I was hoping to build one there myself actually.
Okay, that is just a convenient reference point for portals.
[update: Actually, the Survival 0,0 location is at the road out the back of the Temple of the Cube, so it will be safe for me to put it there. The Creative 0,0 should be unused (well it was 6 months ago ) but I will check it later.]

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 20th June 2011 at 11:52 AM.