The Survival server is now working with all your favourite mods and the Nether in Minecraft Beta 1.6.6.
We have added a portal on the road behind the Temple of the Cube that leads to a fortified building in the Nether. Feel free to enter, explore and mine, but watch out for the ghasts!
Remember the new rules for portal construction though:
Nether portals can only be manually built in the real world.
No Nether portals are allowed to be manually built in the Nether.
See Updating to MC 1.6 on Tuesday + Nether rules
if want further explanations on why.
The Survival world has been expanded by 200 blocks on either side. It is now 4000x4000! More places for new players to set up.
The Creative server will updated later this week.
Problems with 1.6.6:
The only issue we have with this version is that teleporting can sometimes go inside blocks or the chunk won't generate properly. If this happens to you, disconnect immediately
. When you reconnect, you should be paced high enough in the world to be safe. If you wait too long, you may suffocate.
Oh, and beds can behave a little oddly in the Nether (like explode when clicked on).
So what changed in 1.6.x?
See Version history - Minecraft Wiki
Some of the main points are:
- Added Nether support to multiplayer.
- The client will ask minecraft.net if the current login is valid. If the server says “no”, a warning message appears in the client. You can still play the game even if this happens. 
- Added craftable Maps.
- Added trapdoors.
- Added Tall Grass in some biomes.
- Mushrooms now spreads (very) slowly.
- Added server property view-distance. Sets the radius of terrain updates (in chunks) to send to the players. Range 3-15, default 10.
- Added Dead Shrubs in Deserts.
- Added allow-nether (set to true or false) in server.properties.
- Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now shows the breaking block particle effect.
- Doors make sound for other players in multiplayer.
- Activated dispensers make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer.
- Players stuck in walls will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one.
- Shift-clicking while crafting makes as much as possible and moves it straight to your inventory.
- The blocks in the inventory and stats page got a new look.
- Shift-clicking something in your inventory will push it directly in your hot bar and vice-versa.
- It’s no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the maps.
- Booster tracks are now speedier.
- Fire has been severely nerfed so it spreads slower, and doesn’t spreaBeds have numerous issues in SMP; players may sleep during night, but nothing will happen as the game thinks you're trying to sleep. This allows the player to sleep and walk freely at the same time. When all players are asleep, a few seconds later the game teleports you back to the bed and the normal post-sleeping effect will occur. d infinitely.
- Seeds are now found in tall grass, using a hoe on the ground no longer drop seeds.
- Arrows shot by players can now be picked up by all players.
- Minecarts and boats can go through portals, empty or occupied.
- 2 blocks deep water doesn't prevent you from fall-damage anymore. You need at least 3 blocks deep water to fall in.
- Version number no longer displayed while playing. Still visible on title screen and in F3 mode.
- It is now possible to climb stairs and slabs while sneaking.
- Glowstone Changes
- Bonemeal can grow tall grass and flowers on grass blocks.[1