Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default What's with the nether portals?

Hmmm. I'm a good 1000 blocks away from spawn and built a nether gate. I enter the gate and end up coming out at Nether gate 00. Re-enter the same gate and end up at spawn.

I thought the nether gates were supposed to work on a 16:1 ratio rather than a 1000:1 ratio.

Old 22nd June 2011, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

*slap*
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

all realworld gates in a 1000x1000 area will link to one gate in the nether.
if you were to walk back through that nether gate, you'd end up at the closest gate in the real world.
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Doh

Ah. Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5705 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

the solution is TNT.... go to spawn nether gate and.........

Just Kidding I think the actual number is 1024 btw, it is a binary number of sum sort I forget exactly, What I did was move farther away and rebuilt my portal and tried again, eventally I found a sport that was non overworld linking.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 93

Cheerful

ahhh, i think i get how the whole portal to portal thing works now i will just use the communal one.
MTDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Doh

I built a second portal outside the 1024 range and sure enough it generated a new portal in the Nether - and my initial portal also diverted to this one.

So being clever I then went and deleted the second portal so in theory it would then enter and leave via the portal in my base. No - it managed to find a hidden cave out under the ice and built a new portal there. I deleted this one and tried again. It then built a third portal on a beach. Oh well, that will have to do. I guess ultimately others within 1000 blocks will be using that portal to return as well.

I think I'm describing the situation Sorontar was hoping to avoid.
Old 23rd June 2011, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

yup similar to what to how mine got off set due to a gast blowing it out. It certainly seems to be a one time spawn/connection out of the nether. While entering the nether all will grab onto the nearest portal exiting does not really seem to. While there is lava in a fair amount of space between my portal and the spawn one there is some open land it could have picked. (though not a lot) Oh well.

A gast did show me kindly that my portal is actually only a few blocks from the nether border. Was about to take a swim in the lava ocean as the gast shot me off the top of my nether tower. Part way in the fall got teleported back to the top of the tower as had crossed over the border. Thank you border mod Didn't know I was building with 1-2 blocks of the border...though sad lots of lamp stone over there.

Does explain now why it will only exit out near the normal world border.

Last edited by Misnik; 23rd June 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Misnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9246

The borders should be close to matching i.e. the real world border should map to the Nether border. Both are set as distances from 0,0 (as distinct from spawn). Therefore the main portals are in the dead centers of the worlds, according to the borders.

And it can make a difference which side of a portal you enter from as to where it tries to map to in the other world. This would be much easier if there wasn't a 1:8 ratio between the worlds, but that would remove much of the use of the Nether.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

yup.

My worksite must be in the middle of that lake I guess.

lol now non of the portal in the actual normal world base connect to where they did yesterday.

I have a hallway where my original portal was. When that kept connecting to spawn portal I dismantled it. I went ahead and made the portal I talked about before. Which created the border portal due to the lake presumably.

I think to myself well my original portal room might be viable again, so I go ahead rebuild it in the original spot. connects to spawn again. Think well thats ok now I don't have to walk as far. Look at the map location and see i'm only a short distance from the 1024 border of spawn. So turn my portal room into a portal hallway. About 20 blocks down create a new portal closer to the border portal connection. Worked like a charm. Had a hallway with a portal to spawn and my nether tower at each end.

Went to bed. Woke up both those portals now connect to a new nether portal site somewhere in the northern part of the map from where I am.

On the upside my nether skyroad appears to be heading nearly straight to that portal site. So will still work. Just not as cool as have a hallway to two nether regions Which actually made the nether physics backwards. I was traveling maybe 20 blocks in normal world there to travel 200 in the nether.

I do have to wonder how Daed mob portal works so close to spawn. Such a short distance.