Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24th June 2011, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 93

Cheerful
Default Big Glass Wall

Just wondering what the go is with the massive glass wall i see on the west side of the survival map : ) Does it serve a purpose to block something out or is it just an epic construction? just curious
MTDOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th June 2011, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

I was placed by one of our older mods to show where the actual border was. I believe we dropped it a few updates back forget why.
Old 24th June 2011, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9131

That glass wall was once the border. The Bukkit mod we use for the borders (BorderGuard) has gone through various variations. One allowed temporary structures to be automatically erected along the border. As the border was moved, so would the structure. We chose glass. While this was great as it provided a physical sign of the border, the present version of the mod does not support such a feature (and it is kinder on the server for it). Hence, the glass wall remained even though it was not recognised by the mod. Since the border has been at the same place for a few months, it didn't really matter. Now the border has been moved, the glass can be destroyed, utilised in constructions, whatever. The new border is invisible.

Sorontar
ps. The glass wall goes from the top of the world to the bottom. It replaced all blocks there. However, it only did so once someone had visited the chunk (or near it). Hence, not all of the old border was made into glass.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 93

Cheerful

No worries, thanks.
MTDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25469

Amused

I wonder if it replaced the bedrock too... ITS THE END OF THE WORLD DOWN THERE!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5548 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

You dare not dig Reoh, for I know you know that the mod dug too deep, I know you know that I know that you know that red knows that you knows what the mod awakened down there, beneath the bed rock.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9131

Yes, it replaced everything. It stored the original blocks in a file so they could be replaced when the border was shifted (or cancelled).

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
You dare not dig Reoh, for I know you know that the mod dug too deep, I know you know that I know that you know that red knows that you knows what the mod awakened down there, beneath the bed rock.
See now I'm curious!

Actually I did see a video of someone blowing 10,000's of TNT and actually blew some Bedrock away (or maybe it was just a natural hole? shrug).

We need you, Citizen!
Old 25th June 2011, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

We had the same mod on a test server a while back - -what was cool is when it occurred through a mountain - suddenly your evil mountain lair had a pre-built indestructible wall allowing in lots of natural light!

(Lighting is of course a huge consideration in selecting just the right evil lair!)
Old 26th June 2011, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
We had the same mod on a test server a while back - -what was cool is when it occurred through a mountain - suddenly your evil mountain lair had a pre-built indestructible wall allowing in lots of natural light!

(Lighting is of course a huge consideration in selecting just the right evil lair!)
I like Lavalights!

We need you, Citizen!