TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st July 2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Standing down as Division Captain

Hi all,

The title obviously gives it away, I have decided to step down as the Minecraft DC. I'm been dealing with a number of real life issues both at home and work lately and after much consideration I've made the decision which ultimately is right for me. I'm "okay" and will still be around TOG.

In stepping down, I feel a sense of achievement that the Minecraft admin/mod team (of which I've really only been a minor cog) has been successful in taking us from a little server hosted on Fate's home PC to the active division we are today, for a game that was in alpha and even now is still officially in beta.

I'm pleased to be in the position of there not having been any division issues /problems that have influenced my decision, and I believe the incoming DC will inherit what I view as a well functioning community.

That's not to say there haven't been challenges along the way.
  • The policy on whitelisting has presented a number of challenges, however I believe it's worked in a reasonably balanced way even though it has meant declining some applications and dealing with the resulting conflict.
  • There have been strong differing opinions at times about the direction we should take with our servers given the options available and goals and motivation behind players differing enjoyment of the game. It was pleasing to see these debates remain focussed on the issue not the individual, which in my mind speaks volumes about the quality and respect within our community here.
Some stats for those interested: On our two 25 slot servers for the game we have 142 whitelisted players registered on the servers and of those 45 have been active on the servers within the past month with 75 active within the past three months.

I intend to continue working as I have until a replacement is appointed and not just disappear overnight. I'll also still be active around the TOG forum and playing with fellow TOG'ers after a replacement is in place. I'll likely step back further from Minecraft in order to give the incoming DC room, but will be happy to help out/provide advice if asked.

Suffice it to say that I've enjoyed my time as DC and wish to thank all of you for your support and making the division what it is today. I look forward to seeing how the division evolves with a new DC and upcoming changes to the game itself.

On the topic of a replacement DC, you may have seen the new process for DC selection, and as such the position will be declared vacant with applications taken for a replacement. I would expect an announcement to be posted sometime in the next week - keep an eye on the announcement section at the top of the forum. I would encourage anyone who feels they can contribute in the role to apply.

One thing I would ask is that players don't end up going overboard (Mixa ) with suggesting people who should apply.

Again, thank you all.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 1st July 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd July 2011, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25461

Amused

Cheers TI.

Only ducked my head around here recently but things look like they've been going pretty well so I call good job mate!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5498 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

TI, Mate

You have been a great DC, thanks for all your work and help. You have been great and very helpful. I would like to offer the divisions thanks to you and wish you all the best in everything you do.

also mate, if you need help shout out we will do what we can .

Regards

Darkduck.
p.s. Don't vote for Reoh, he is evil, the power drives him mad!!!!

On the issue of a replacement, we shall give them Hell I tell you, there is only 1 fair way to decide a new DC, a Build off!!!!!!

3 part Test
1) The Mine - how deep and large can you go, does your mine include a network of complicated tunnels? how much diamond did you find? is lava your friend or enemy?
2) The Building shall be who ever makes the gandest and most spectacular building wins
3) the Nether Challenge - you must build a temple on the lava lake, without killing the ghasts.

The looser's mine and buildings shall be destroyed via TNT!!!!!
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Sorry to see you go from the DC role, TI.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Amused

What?!

I'm not putting in for DC.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5498 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
What?!

I'm not putting in for DC.
I know, just needed to get a jab in for laughs. so who will be our new DC,
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8255 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Sorry to see you go
But it's the right decision if you have other problems.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

Cheers Thermal - job well done, leaving some pretty big shoes to fill.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
I know, just needed to get a jab in for laughs. so who will be our new DC,
Well the process is that the modmins will call for applications and they'll run with it from there. Safe bet is to say someone who applies. :P

We need you, Citizen!
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9016

We have a lot to thank Thermal for. He has got us organised into a Division that we should all be proud of. He has made the hard decisions as to the policies, written up the newcommers documents and been the middle man when some us (myself included) have got a bit irritated about player's behaviour. I am very thankful for all you have done Thermal as our DC.

Thanks mate. I hope we will still see you and Optimal ocassionally on our worlds, whatever shape they may take.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote