Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th July 2011, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored
Default Piston-Powered Door and Bridge

As the title may suggest, I did a bit of playing around with pistons and took some screenshots.

Minecraft Screenshots

If given enough room and resources, I'd be glad to install either of these systems into your homes if you like.

Here's the world if you would like to look at it yourself: Yami's Redstone Facility.

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th July 2011, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25530

Amused

Very nice!

I've been working on a test model for mine too. It's 2 wide, 3 high, and forms a seemless wall (with a liquid fall (water for now, lava later) over the front until the switch is thrown. Will be tied into the combination lock I showed you guys earlier.

Next step, is to have it also trigger flaming arrows at anyone who uses the wrong code!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1918

Thanks. I think I will have a look at that.

Edit: Umm... Where do I put them?

Re-edit: nvm

Memorial Signature pic

Last edited by Firebrand; 7th July 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8360 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Now I have just completed my new trapdoor type of entrance with pistons. It looks like ordinary flat sandy ground, but when you press a button a hole opens up and a staircase emerges

It sounds easier than it was, the logic part of it was not easy, with three memory circuits and a lot of close quarter connection quirks
And the logic takes 10 times as much room as the entrance itself...

But now that I've gotten it to work I'll copy the construction over to my main base on the survival server for all to see and use once the pistons are added.

I also found out that pistons will work good as cart dispensers in our railway station. I will upgrade the spawn station as well once the server is upgraded.

You can also make wheat fields that are easy to harvest thanks to pistons, all you do is you contain a water spring with a piston, and then grow the wheat in a ditch below. When the piston opens the water flows out and auto-harvest the crops. Although when I tried it I seemed to get less wheat than I should have, but that requires more observations before I can say anything definite.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Nice images and idea
Old 8th July 2011, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
You can also make wheat fields that are easy to harvest thanks to pistons, all you do is you contain a water spring with a piston, and then grow the wheat in a ditch below. When the piston opens the water flows out and auto-harvest the crops. Although when I tried it I seemed to get less wheat than I should have, but that requires more observations before I can say anything definite.
True, you get less wheat through water harvesting than by harvesting it manually. Not sure about using pistons on the side to hit the wheat though, haven't tested that.

We need you, Citizen!
Old 8th July 2011, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

I built the opposite to Daed, and set of stairs that appear from nowhere and the roof opens up in to allow access to the next level, in what appears to be an otherwise normal hallway.

Plus some interesting things based on timing.

Any good programs for youtubing MC? Screenshots don't really do piston creations justice.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."

Last edited by King_Rocket; 8th July 2011 at 02:19 PM.
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8360 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reoh View Post
Not sure about using pistons on the side to hit the wheat though, haven't tested that.
I tested that and it doesn't work. It both destroys the crops and make the tilled dirt into a normal dirt block. Totally useless
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5757 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

I have built a hallway of death in my Single player test world, basically (video filmed just need to edit it, and upload it) 2 sticky pistons on top of each other drive blocks into the hallway these are driven by a rapid pulser with 2 redstone repeaters to allow for time variance.
this is repeated 4 times (2 on each side meaning at some point all 4 cubes of the hallway is closed because of the pistons)

now I alter the timing on each one so they all pulse at different rates meaning there is sometimes a void and some times that nice void turns out to be crush trap central.

it's fun, I am thinking of doing a trap door in it too
DarkDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Rocket View Post
I built the opposite to Daed, and set of stairs that appear from nowhere and the roof opens up in to allow access to the next level, in what appears to be an otherwise normal hallway.

Plus some interesting things based on timing.

Any good programs for youtubing MC? Screenshots don't really do piston creations justice.
I use Fraps.

We need you, Citizen!