Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th July 2011, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh
Default Minecraft Factions

Minecraft Factions

I hadn't heard of this mod before but it looks really awesome. Basically people can create different factions and invite other players in. Each person invited represents 10 powerpoints and your faction essentially claims chunks within the world. One powerpoint per chunk.

The world itself is PVP but players cannot attack you while you are on a chunk owned by your faction (unless they are at war with you). Every time you die you temporarily lose 2 powerpoints so in a war other factions can start claiming some of your land as they kill you - if they want to.

The other benefit of having land claims is that no-one can build on your faction's land - so it stops griefing.

Old 10th July 2011, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2774

Innocent

Love the sound of that!
(Though I bags being Swiss and having 10 permanent chunks!)
Old 10th July 2011, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25505

Amused

Interesting concept.

Really freaking annoying when you login and someones been trapsing about your place knocking holes willy nilly and screwing up redstone work.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 117

Twisted

Omg i want to try this so bad, ill have to get my server back up and give it a whirl, nothing better than a war to cause nerdrage. I love it
Wolfinlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

As far as I am concerned in minecraft any gameplay that hinges on the terrible netcode is going to make for a frustrating experience.

Good idea I guess though.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
As far as I am concerned in minecraft any gameplay that hinges on the terrible netcode is going to make for a frustrating experience.

Good idea I guess though.
Pretty much this...

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Doh

I spent a large part of yesterday playing on a factions server and have a few observations for anyone else who is going to try it:
  • The online chat ranges from helpful-friendly through to general abuse. Not bad though - I was expecting worse.
  • You really need a group of people to form a faction because you need to make sure you have a viable border (every death loses 2 chunks). I was in the middle of building a fort when two characters show up, declare war, kill me, shift the border back into the middle of my fort, lace the area with TNT, and blow the crap out of what I'd built - which leads to:
  • Build a very small structure to start with to protect yourself.
  • Keep 6 to 8 powerpoints in reserve so you can still die but the enemy can't shift your border.
  • The commands are great. You have faction chat, an ASCII map of your surrounds showing who owns what, ability to manage your faction, etc.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Doh

Damn these guys are sneaky. I had built a wall and keep with one-way doors to keep the raiders out. Anyhow, I'm working away and one of them attacks me from inside the keep. You have an advantage when fighting on your own ground so I was able to kill him off. Luckily he attacked before he could call in his mates.

Ends up he had been digging holes around my claimed land and had found a natural cave that eventually led into my keep.

So the next thing I learned was to make sure ALL entrances (above and below ground) are sealed with a door positioned in your side of the border.

Another really cool part of the mod (or it may be another mod) is that as you perform tasks you go up in skill and get bonuses as your skill increases. For example, if you are mining ore and have a reasonable mining skill level, some of the raw stone around where you are mining may change into the ore you are mining. Really nice touch.
Old 12th July 2011, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9248

Some servers seem to be very competitive and run PvP as their main thing. There are mods that use a currency system to access commands, portals etc. There are roleplaying mods that allow access to weapons etc to be restricted. In these scenarios I can imagine factions might play a role, but there are so many ways to play Minecraft that I suspect Factions would be pointless for most players.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote