Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th July 2011, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2757

Innocent
Default Request: Cannon!

So after posting this in the lounge by mistake, I thought it may make a little bit more sense here!

Quote:
Heya - you may ave noticed that I'm pretty good at putting this block on that block....
no...really...hold your applause...

What I really have no idea about is redstone.
Or dispensors.
Or Sorentors...
(Pistons have got me a little puzzled as well.)

However I do happen to play with some pretty cluey people, so I'd like to request some help.

I have been getting sand to build my airship propulsion system - it will look pretty cool if I say so myself.
What I would like though is some redstone magic hooked up to dispensors and pistons to create cannon on my airship...

Any takers?

Old 11th July 2011, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8330 TOG Silver Level Supporter

So you want something like hatches opening and dispensers come out and shoot arrows?
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2757

Innocent

Well in my limited knowledge, I was thinking of some sort of way to fire a salvo (so not all at once but in turn - a 'broadside' if you will) from the side of the airship.

Sort of like some mechanism drops a block that triggers a piston, that fires it out the side?

All contained below decks.

Hatches would be awesome but I dont think they work vertically?
Old 12th July 2011, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

(not going to comment on the use of the words fire and airship in the same sentence)

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25484

Amused

You'd put the hatch on the side, and in the "open" position it might just cover the ports for you and look all stylish!

As for the redstone. What type of "salvo" ?

For arrows you can use a dispenser, just hook the dispenser up with redstone or a block adjacent (not diagonally, usually... ) with a fire button (or lever if you want it to keep firing until you turn it off / run out of arrows). You can have lava poor infront of the dispenser so the arrows will come out on flame (warning, fire may be hazardous to your airship. insulate it with rock/obsidian/non flammable blocks 2 out - they throw cinders).

If you wanted to shoot something else. You could make obsidian cannons that fired tnt blocks out. You just have to set a couple up inside, separated. ignite the back one first (with redstone through the obsidian lining) and then the other one a moment later. They both activate, the first one pushes the second out and it'll blow up somewhere outside. WARNING - may piss off your neighbours as it'll pwn any land nearby.

The second "salvo" block doesn't have to be tnt, but it does have to be "loose" ie, not stuck to anything or it'll just get blown up.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 03:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8330 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yes the TNT option seems to be the one with most umph

Other than that you have arrows from dispensers. You can not fire something with pistons, they are way to slow for that and would just push it over the side in a very uncool manner.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5631 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

you could/can fire eggs from dispensers, hehehe
DarkDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9196

Or snowballs or arrows, I think. My Plan C has both. Don't forget that a hatch has to be attached to a block to its side. I am not sure if it will quite work the way you intend. I suspect you would want the block to be the dispenser, which might not be allowed. I haven't been playing with hatches enough to know.

Sorontar
ps. I suspect that firing tnt will be safe once 1.7 is added. Tnt will need a circuit/lever to activate.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

as you can now shoot things out of a orriface....

Any chance you could load it with sheep?

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I suspect that firing tnt will be safe once 1.7 is added. Tnt will need a circuit/lever to activate.
I think that piston cannons are what they use for TNT where a redstone mechanism sets it off and the piston throws it.