Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20th July 2011, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused
Default What would you like included in a 12 month roadmap?

RE:
Quote:
In addition, your application should include a 12 month plan setting out your vision and for the Division together with road map to ensure the growth, development and longevity of your player base.
I thought I would start a thread for us to maybe discuss this very topic, which is part of the application process for nominees to the Division Commander role.

What would you like to see happen in the next 12 months? What are we doing right or wrong? How could it be improved?

Tough question, and I need to go think about it myself before I can give my own opinion.
p.s. No I don't plan on applying.

p.p.s. If this makes it awkward for choosing a DC rather than helping, then feel free to close or remove this thread, and accept my apologies.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th July 2011, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

Good thread imho MadMax.

Well to grow the division you need to let people know. Some sort of a plan to raise awareness both internally here at TOG (division news correspondent etc.) and outside (maybe a youtube channel, a steam group, a facebook page, whatever).

While that gathers people to the division you also want them to have fun and stick around. Organising events for when people can get together and have some fun. Show off their places or go on adventures. A good example would be a community project to get everyone to build something together. You might also run competitions, handing out awards for various things. all of these are possibilities that are worth mentioning, not just for the application standpoint but what you'd like to see from the division as it grows.

In addition you'd probably want to add any changes that you'd like to make to how the servers are run or managed, speak to the economic budgeting requirements if any (not sure how the servers stand on funds?). Your plans for communication with the division to find out what they want in all this regard. That sort of thing.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Possibly the first questions that need answers I think is do we need to grow the community, and are we capable of growing it, from a server provision side of things.

We are so very blessed to have a server provider who doesn't expect us to contribute any money to. Would the server cope with a large influx of people? Can we properly control what goes on on the servers if we do have a larger group? Aside from some incident of griefing (I think) it's been a very friendly cooperative and family friendly group.

Something we may need is a contingency plan for if we no longer have a server provider. (Many thanks once again for this service.)

The decisions made by the existing leadership team have been very good, even though I may not have initially agreed with one or two policy decisions, they turned out to be right on the money, and best for the community.

Naturally one thing we would all love is faster updates after notch updates, but we really do understand why it happens so no big deal there, and we know it involves work in admin's personal time, for which we are eternally grateful. Maybe, others could contribute in some way to this?

Keeping the server family (kid) friendly I think is essential.

I like the discussion about organising MC events more. They do take some time to prepare. They are great bonding events, as anyone in TF2 division will attest to.

We need one to celebrate MC going out of beta!

Having a kid friendly event was well attended and really quite a lot of fun.

There'll be an adventure mode coming eventually so something to consider there for the admins.

Just some random thoughts.

Cheers,
Max
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5572 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Keeping the server family (kid) friendly I think is essential.
Bah we are TOG, 25 + old farts who let these kids on my Dirt farm!!!!!!

On the note of road map, I do not think I am suitible for the job of DC, but feel that some good idea's would be

1) A Build off - ie set aside a contenent and every month people need to build (should they wish to participate) a X ( so say August could be World Wonder, September might be Mazes etc etc)
2) Maybe saturday nights people could meet at say tog spawn for a guided tour of someones place via mumble
3) a Group build, ie an attachment to Tog Spawn, or a Tog Outpost ie the map's getting larger maybe a smaller refuge for people enroute to out lands, or maybe building a new sky road.

just what I have been thinking of
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

@MadMax, that is a fortunate situation. What if it changes? Not saying it would but its possible. I know this recently happened to the Brink division where sponsorship was withdrawn (although I realise that is a seperate issue).

If the division did grow, maybe we'd need more servers? Or if there was demand, servers with different mods? Just throwing these questions out there to help you guys think about what you want. I know I don't play on the TOG servers but just want to help the community in some way.

@Darkduck, are you sure that wouldn't be a patent infringement?

J/k DD, sounds like a great idea mate.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8321 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
2) Maybe saturday nights people could meet at say tog spawn for a guided tour of someones place via mumble
This is something I've been thinking about too, it would be great to have some tours to peoples places so we can really see what is happening on the server
It's fun both to see what people have built, and to show off what you yourself did build.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1666

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
3) a Group build, ie an attachment to Tog Spawn, or a Tog Outpost ie the map's getting larger maybe a smaller refuge for people enroute to out lands, or maybe building a new sky road.

Don't Forget Under-roads

err. came out smaller than thought.

Orange: Western Line/ Original System
Blue: Eastern Line / Current System
Pink: WiP
Green Circles: Exits with working Nether Portals for fast travel
Old 21st July 2011, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

pffft it's not copy right infringing, after all our's will be called the chunk, or the cube, and will be hosted by Scotich Kam, shortened to Scot Kam, see it's spelt with a K different person.

well lads we have some solid idea's here. lets keep it up. and fyi I have made my place public so anyone can /tp home darkduck and feel free to show yourself around
Old 21st July 2011, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

actually permission to connect to the underroad via this route ( will go deep)

Old 21st July 2011, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2752

Innocent

I love the idea of more community projects - Some of the best fun I had was in being a part of the team building the Toggeseum - From memory I think that was completed in just a few hours over a couple of days...impressive effort.

I was speaking to Obsi ages ago about having a spawn village, much like the creative server, and even expanding on this, I would really like to develop the area around the spawn fortress, and actually get a town happening there.

Only problem I see is that as it is a communal area, getting everyones approval for every build would be painful! perhaps instead this are could be defined and a 'blanket approval' given for anything anywhere?

Great topic Max - I know you were thinking directly in relation to the DC role, but it has spawned an excellent conversation on what people like, miss and want more of.

(word of warning though - If Sor see's you spawn anything else he will hit you with the mortal hammer! )