Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31st July 2011, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8346 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Talking Awsome new secret entrance into Daeds base

I've just completed my new main (and secret) entrance into my base using pistons.

To the right you see spawn fortress, and straight ahead/to the left you see the temple of the cube. This should help you figure out where the picture was taken.
If you look at the very left border of the image though you might notice two buttons behind the grass. Try pressing one of them

(Make sure there are no creepers in the vicinity, they have blown up the mechanism once already and as King_Rocket noticed I was not happy when that happened )

And while you're at it you can check out the new spawn station mechanisms, also using pistons. All tracks are not "electrified" yet though, so you might not get very far if you use it
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 31st July 2011 at 09:40 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31st July 2011, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9238

Very nice, but I think the buttons need to be labelled like the buttons below. I pressed both of them one after the other and it only half did the job. It wasn't until I pressed one of the in isolation that it fixed itself.

Other than that, it is very well done. I had no idea where it would affect until it did.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah one is for closing and one is for opening. Pressing the wrong one won't damage anything, but it won't help either

I didn't label them as I wanted them to be somewhat hidden.
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
Old 1st August 2011, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5700 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

that is very cool.

I woudl kill for a schematic /wires TNT to the redstone circuit, muhahahaha. from what I could tell you have atleast 8 sticky pstons, some of which are on a delay.

mate that is very nice. I wonder if they will ever decrease the required size of the redstone circuits. (ie what has been mentioned before, create a 9x9 redstone ciruit cube and you put these together)
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

oh and the signs on the outside are not needed, I love hte position of the buttons
Old 1st August 2011, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's 14 pistons actually, connected to three memory cells. Both the closing and opening circuits modify the state of all the memory cells, one of which is changed twice (ie the pistons connected to it goes down the first thing that happens (when you see the hole opening up) and then up again the last thing that happens (when the stairs pop up).

It's a lot of delays and stuff to make sure all blocks are in the right position at each step; one circuit for closing and one circuit for opening. You can access the circuitry by entering the hole next to the portal inside my base (the one with the sign saying it's the deep mine). But I doubt anyone but me would get anything out of it (I hardly understand it myself anymore)

As for the compact circuits I seem to remember notch saying he wasn't a fan of the idea. Also say that you produce a compact circuit with 2 in and 2 out, how would you connect it? One connection per side? that would be hard to connect without having redstone accidentally connect the wrong way.
GW2 characters:

Old 1st August 2011, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

Nice one, I'll have to go take a peak at some stage.

I finally got to play with pistons and really enjoying the creative side of what you can do with them, gotta love moving bits, reminds me of the moving parts of the old Meccano sets.

I experimented with creating a staircase unfolding, then thought, ooh it would be cool to hide the staircase with water and have it flow down, and then disappear to reveal the stairs, and then thought I'd like to hide the switch and create a secret door. Hehe was all good fun, and surprisingly not too difficult. Got it all working in a day.

I never really got circuitry in minecraft but starting to understand it a little now. Couldn't understand those diagrams on the wiki.

Tp to me for a looksee if you want to see it in action. I also tried a short cart track that triggered music, crushing wall, and opening staircase prototype.

Oh my brain is in hyperdrive thinking of fun things to try out.

Last edited by MadMax; 1st August 2011 at 11:58 AM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25501

Amused

Ahh I love Redstone.

Which reminds me, must complete the final revision for my new main door and post a clip.

It's DIABOLICAL!

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I experimented with creating a staircase unfolding, then thought, ooh it would be cool to hide the staircase with water and have it flow down, and then disappear to reveal the stairs, and then thought I'd like to hide the switch and create a secret door.
I can vouch that this is an awesome set of stairs, I loved it I am goign to create a lava type entrance for my base. at the end of my base entrance ATM I have a brick wall open. (think max well smart)

but the entrance to this I want to make stairs appear and lava to part.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25501

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
I can vouch that this is an awesome set of stairs, I loved it I am goign to create a lava type entrance for my base. at the end of my base entrance ATM I have a brick wall open. (think max well smart)

but the entrance to this I want to make stairs appear and lava to part.
You bastard.

(thats what my new set does, with an 8 switch combo lock with flaming arrows for people who try the wrong code).

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote