TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9th August 2011, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5497 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking
Default Minecraft mods and plugins

true, but there are alot of limitations with a flash based game.

I think alot needs to be revised, ie I feel there should be alot of inclusions from third party mods (Better than wolves for one)

but I dunno if notch is "willing to share the glory" of minecraft.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th August 2011, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
true, but there are alot of limitations with a flash based game.
Flash-based? It's java.

Quote:
I think alot needs to be revised, ie I feel there should be alot of inclusions from third party mods (Better than wolves for one)

but I dunno if notch is "willing to share the glory" of minecraft.
Mojang has already incorporated stuff from third-parties. Things like the way the world data is stored and (I think) the improved lighting code all originated outside Mojang. Mojang has said that in the near future they will sanction some mod developers and give them access to the raw code (rather than the encoded code they presently hack). Some trial groups like Bukkit already have access. Bukkit has been helping them try to nut out some of the more awkward bugs. The rule for these developers is that they must be prepared for Mojang to utlise their code (or a derivation of it) in the main code (but I think will be compensated or recognised for their contribution). Otherwise, the developers are independent of the game. There will be no API (but developers like Bukkit get around that by making their own and having Bukkit plugin developers).

As for the Better than Wolves Bukkit mod (couldn't find our thread/posting about it, so embedding video below), it is not Bukkit (nor multiplayer) so we can't add it to our servers. However, we might be able to add similar mods with aspects of it. That is why I included the last section in the survey. If you have any specific multiplayer Bukkit Plugins you would like included, include them (and a link to their thread) on the survey. You allowed to go back and edit your survey response :^) There are always limits to how many mods we have but if you don't tell us what you want, we will never know.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

blah I meant Java, silly me it's a strong language but not designed to be able to be a great game platform.

as for BTW while Mojang certainly has gained input from others to improve perfomance there is not alot of love as to new idea's (that being said some player inspired stuff has been incorperated like stackable fence posts) but who knows I might be wrong.

While Better than wolves is a great singleplayer mod it has alot of limitations (don't liek what they did with wolves lol) but I was simply referring to the gears, axle's and saws etc the mod introduced. I shall check out mp mods cause I liked the stuff in BTW that allowed for things to be "finished" nicely.

Last edited by DarkDuck; 9th August 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

oooh is there a mod like this we can use I tried to do this thinking it was part of the game, dunno what the purpose of powered minecarts is since ya can't make "trains"
[MECH] TrainCarts v1.0 - Link minecarts of different types together to form trains [1000] | Bukkit Forums

hehehe there is a mod "zombie deaths" when a player dies they spawn a zombie, hehehe

Last edited by DarkDuck; 9th August 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Default Minecraft mods and plugins

I have started this thread about Minecraft mods and plugins. The posts above originally came from the Minecraft Videos thread.

Sorontar

Old 9th August 2011, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
oooh is there a mod like this we can use I tried to do this thinking it was part of the game, dunno what the purpose of powered minecarts is since ya can't make "trains"
Powered carts can push other carts. Other carts can have chests in them (or people (or animals)) (see Minecart - Minecraft Wiki).

Quote:
hehehe there is a mod "zombie deaths" when a player dies they spawn a zombie, hehehe
There are also vampire mods.

Sorontar
ps. As I said, list any you would like to be added on the survey. That way, we will only have to look in one thread.

Old 9th August 2011, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

tyrant not letting me derail topics.

your a bit of a neat freak arn't you. I have seen you tidying up these posts?!!!

anyway, whatsthe limitations on the mods, and hows the best way for us to decided, ie should we list features we like of just mods we like? I want stuff that adds functionality ie liek the minecart one below.
Old 9th August 2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
tyrant not letting me derail topics. your a bit of a neat freak arn't you. I have seen you tidying up these posts?!!!
Yes It is also one of the jobs defined for a DC and forum mods.

Quote:
anyway, whatsthe limitations on the mods, and hows the best way for us to decided, ie should we list features we like of just mods we like? I want stuff that adds functionality ie liek the minecart one below.
The limitation is the more mods you have
  1. the harder it is for Admins to work out what is wrong when something goes wrong
  2. the longer you might have to wait for updates
  3. the greater the chance that the mod won't be updated. Lots of our key Bukkit plugins are now on their second or third developer because one of them dropped the ball. In a few cases (like last update) we have had to change the plugin altogether. Our biggest "hiccup" was pre-Bukkit when we were relying on the hMod and hey0 stopped developing it. No-one like the uncertainity that produced around Christmas time last year.
  4. the more the mods, the less Minecraft it is
As you may see from the survey, some people place difference importance on each of those factors. That is what we have to consider when deciding whether anything needs changing.

As to telling me and the Admin team, the survey has categories that should help us understand how you would like the game expanded. If you can list specific mods/plugins, then do, but I wouldn't expect most people to know what is available. As I postscripted above, make use of the survey. That keeps all these suggestions in one place (until I close the survey after one or more weeks).

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 9th August 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: change->chance
Old 20th August 2011, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25461

Amused
Default Wavy grass/trees mod

Don't we have a mod thread? I searched "mod" and came up with nothing. )=

Anyhow, here's a mod that makes trees and grass in the distance wave about as if to an unseen breeze.

[V1.5] GLSL Shaders (AA, DoF, Waving Wheat and More) - Minecraft Forum

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Yes we do have a mod thread.

That mod also does funky outlining

Last edited by Sorontar; 20th August 2011 at 10:31 PM.