Old 19th August 2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky
Default Manslaughter!

(I bet that got your attention )

I'd have though this was an obvious request, but can people please be considerate of others on the server and not leave holes around that are very deep and will lead to players dying if they fall in.

... as in deep pits down to bedrock that are just a 1-2 block non-obvious hole... which means if you fall in, all your inventory is stuck at the bottom of the hole, and you can't jump down to get it or you'll die again...(unless you have a bucket of water you can grab quickly)

I've found 2 at spawn in creative and have covered them up. One was next to someone's house (MadMax's I think) - which I found in the dark.... and consequently lost a full inventory in.... .. the other is on the beach and had a "stand on this pressure plate" type sign next to it. I'm not sure if that one was intended to be a trap, where you stand on the plate and fall down to bedrock and to your death (if so, I don't think that's appropriate).... as it's now just a hole with no pressure pad ... but I've covered it up to stop people accidently falling in (as someone else already did [not me] and was also not impressed at losing all their inventory as a result)

A little common sense and courtesy can make play much more enjoyable for everyone.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th August 2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5623 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

hehehehehe ummm on creative ths is a no no, on survival it's called, fun.

but seriously guys do be considerate of others and atleast lable or mark pit traps or if cover them up.
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

Both those holes were made by people a long time ago (perhaps before the Survival server). However, until someone fell in them, no-one realised how dangerous they were. No-one, that is, except their creator.

As DarkDuck said, Creative is not a PvP area. No traps should be made against players, except where they are part of a well advertised challenge, e.g. an obstacle course. Yes, health regenerates, but people still die on Creative. If you make or find a dangerous situation in a public area, please lessen the risk. If you are concerned about what you did, write a sign or post on the forum.

On Survival, a degree of PvP is allowed. I have monster spawns in my area and I have at least one man-made trap. I have warned players about it. This is allowed. However, doing this in public areas is still not good practise. We have enough of a challenge to survive without having lava pits suddenly appear from nowhere in the middle of a seemingly unused forest.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8329 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Yeah I've fallen into one of the holes in creative as well (quickly dug down beside it to get down safely and collect my stuff again )

It should be noted that when these were created there was no fall damage in creative and they were therefore not lethal as they are today.

I have my trap over there as well, but it's a small house where it's pretty clear there is a trap. Also I think it's sprung now, and there is even a safe way down to collect your dropped stuff if you find the secret entrance.
(I should make it reusable using pistons come to think of it )
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
We have enough of a challenge to survive without having lava pits suddenly appear from nowhere in the middle of a seemingly unused forest.
Sorontar
so your saying I can't make a devious trap outside your front door then hide in the bushes waiting for you to trip it, damn there goes my weekend activities!!!!!
Old 20th August 2011, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9195

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
so your saying I can't make a devious trap outside your front door then hide in the bushes waiting for you to trip it, damn there goes my weekend activities!!!!!
I have enough traps called Mobs who wait for me every morning. And my front door is the waterfall (woohoo for natural water elevators)[1]

Sorontar
[1] I do have a tradesman's entrance though off to the side, if you can find it.[2]
[2] and 3 side doors, and two escape tunnels (at the moment, plan to add more)

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I have enough traps called Mobs who wait for me every morning.
me too, these lovely little guys called creepers, often I just go walikng in the garden to hear SSSSSS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM and well my garden has a bit of a hole then!

Last edited by Sorontar; 21st August 2011 at 12:55 PM.