Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th October 2011, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9245

Jens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/122350670648066049
The Pocket Edition is ported to C++

It works on Android 2.2 and later... C++ is better since iOS doesn't support Java

@Boutet09: Do you know if there's going ti be an iPhone version of minecraft pocket edition?

Yes, later

Last edited by Sorontar; 8th October 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th October 2011, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2946

Grumpy

I grabbed it a little while ago, and Sarianna and I try out multiplayer. It was pretty good, no noticeably slowdowns on either end.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 33

Pensive

It's interesting. I'm running it on a Droid Incredible (Android 2.3/Froyo) and while it's a little hard to see (small screen, no zoom options), it's definitely playable. The interface does take getting used to--touch-drag to change view, tap to place, tap-hold to destroy. I should've tried the demo or watched the video first, though... it's pure Creative, and I guess I'm just spoiled by Sanctuary, because I find it a little disappointing!

Multiplayer functions reasonably well, as Irimar said. Only issue I had was that my phone went to sleep (automatically after 15s of no interaction) and it dropped the connection. Could be an issue if the same is true on the hosting device's side.
sarianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

So what can you do in multiplayer? Teleport each other? Both enter the world at different times and get each other's changes? From what Sarianna said, is one machine the main host and the other is a client/visitor?

Sorontar

Old 8th October 2011, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 33

Pensive

No TP. It's very very basic, far stripped down from normal MC. You can create blocks, punch blocks... and that's about it. No storage whatsoever. Anything you can hit, you can also create, no prerequisites.

Yes it is client/server based but the client does have to generate/render the entire world based on the info provided by the host (takes quite a while!) We just did a little experimenting... Irimar's phone (which is apparently "hosting") went to sleep and there were no issues on mine, no notification or disconnection message. I'm guessing it saves a temporary local copy and resyncs later, but I'm not entirely certain. There is an option on quit to save a local copy. If this is not done, you can't just reopen the same world without first connecting to the host.

I took a bunch of pictures of my phone's screen using my laptop's webcam; Irimar is busily editing them so they will actually be viewable (and not include bits of my head). No promises of great quality, though--teensy phone screen and 3.0MP webcam.
sarianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Grumpy

Here are the pictures Sarianna took of PE on her phone.

I tried to clean them up a bit, and Photo Booth on her laptop had flipped them. This was the best I could do.
Old 8th October 2011, 04:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder what would happen if you just dug down or built up. Would there be an end of the world? I guess there are no dungeons to find since you can't pick things up. And no monsters since you have no tools. Is there a day and night?

Sorontar

Old 8th October 2011, 06:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Grumpy

No day or night, apparently. I think Sarianna found a cave, though. It's pure creative mode at this point. It might be worth noting that the title screen says "v0.1.1 alpha".
Old 8th October 2011, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8347 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
Interesting. Thanks. I wonder what would happen if you just dug down or built up. Would there be an end of the world? I guess there are no dungeons to find since you can't pick things up. And no monsters since you have no tools. Is there a day and night?

Sorontar
I downloaded the demo and I had limitations in how large the map was (I came to a border after a while that didn't expand). I don't know if this is only in the demo or in all versions. Also I tried to dug down a bit, but got bored before I got to the lowest point, but I would assume it's the same as in normal minecraft.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 03:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Pocket Edition - Minecraft Wiki

Jens started putting up the system requirements.

Also, a new version of Minecraft PE was uploaded five hours after the initial versions (which I suspect none of you had).

Sorontar