Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th October 2011, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

but wasn't it only about 3 days after we got the pre-release (#2) of 1.8 that it came out? I didn't think it was very long

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th October 2011, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV
Lethal - Post: 5572 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

also how will the mods go with 1.9? after all we don't want to go through waiting weeks for mods again if they all break in 1.9!

I am happy to wait
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

1.9 should be very soon, a couple months from now is the official release and there's 2 major patches in that time and the last month is entirely being devoted to bug fixes.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
also how will the mods go with 1.9? after all we don't want to go through waiting weeks for mods again if they all break in 1.9!
This is an awkward question to answer. Bukkit is trying to preempt 1.9 because they already have access to the existing code. However, while it may only take half a day for Bukkit to get up-to-date with 1.9, it will be about a week for them to release a Recommended Built, ie. a version we know has been diligently tested. To date, we only use RB versions of Bukkit. Then it might take another week for the mods to finish updating, though hopefully many of them might be working. I am considering ignoring some mods, like the warp one, but the admin ones are crucial. We will not update without them.

So I am expecting a 2 weeks wait between 1.9 being released and us updating Sanctuary, then starting Frontier in the same week. Wait for Bukkit and mods has been worse in past versions. Hopefully it won't be a bad one this time.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

hmmm, so see waiting say 3 weeks (given the 1.9 is meant to be out in a week* and then we may find we are in the same boat as we are now....

I say wait and for everyone just to man up

*subject to change without notice
Old 18th October 2011, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 673

Inspired

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Just wondering - are the 1.8 maps currently looking comptiable with 1.9?

If IIRC, the original world4 map was generated in 1.8. Then, it was upgraded to 1.9, keeping the same map (this was when world4 was first started), and I never heard if there were any map issues where the borders met. Does this mean that there aren't any? And if so, is it possible to add, say, another 200 blocks onto each side of the Sanctuary world in the meantime, if it's going to be a long delay for 1.9?

If the maps aren't compatiable, please disregard this, as it would just create larger borders for us to have to "fix" later on. Although, with the endless-ocean bug, it sounds like the entire seed engine's going to have to be reworked anyway. ><
Old 18th October 2011, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2836

1.9r4 was a different seed to 1.9r3.
Stuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9173

Various of the recent fixes by Mojang have had to do with strongholds. Some people have reported the portal room of a stronghold being cut in two by a ravine, thus preventing a portal to the End being created. Since I imagine that a lot of the fixes may relate to things like that, if we expand immediately, we may miss out on these fixes and just get the bugs. Consequently, if we were to expand the border, it may have to be a temporary fix.

Note that at the moment, the generated world for Sanctuary is a lot bigger than the map you see. If we just extended the border, we wouldn't need to generate any new land as we still have enough 1.8.1 land from the early explorers who went too far. However, in the future we may need to prune the land back to the present border and regenerate it. But that decision need not be made until we actually decide to permanently expand.

That is a rushed answer. Excuse me if it is confusing.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 673

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuman View Post
1.9r4 was a different seed to 1.9r3.
Yeah, I was referring to when we were playing 1.9r3 on a world generated with 1.8. Some players went out to where there was snow, obviously at that point newly generated 1.9 land, so was wondering if they had run into any border issues between the two.

Naw Sor, not confusing at all, thanks!
Old 18th October 2011, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Final Fantasy XIV

Lurking

1.93 resulted in huge oceans I mean 5000+ block oceans that resulted in much unused space, generally the biome's worked well but it was not ideal with the ocean issues.

As for hte upgrade? when 1.9.4 came out the whole world was reset to make use of the new items.