Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th October 2011, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Default Should we start expanding Sanctuary now?

I would like to put it out there that I think it would be wise to expand the borders to 1000x1000 right now. I am happy with the consequences from the pov of using my resources etc. I also think it will make spawn village less of a spawn island later one, due to the way our seed works on 1.9. should give everyone breathing room, and allow time for constructions that can be kept up to 1.9 mods coming out.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th October 2011, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

I don't have a view on this, but I remind the Division of the sort of factors to consider:
  • NPC villages probably won't be populated come 1.9 if we generate them now (but we haven't finalised what we want to do with them anyway, cf. What should we do about NPC villages?).
  • We don't know exactly how the world will generate with 1.9, just how it will with the pre-releases
  • We will eventually get warps on Sanctuary.
  • ... some other things that I can't remember but will add when they come back
Have a read of The initial border of the Sanctuary world for the initial discussion that lead to the 500x500 border.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by exekewtable View Post
I would like to put it out there that I think it would be wise to expand the borders to 1000x1000 right now. I am happy with the consequences from the pov of using my resources etc. I also think it will make spawn village less of a spawn island later one, due to the way our seed works on 1.9. should give everyone breathing room, and allow time for constructions that can be kept up to 1.9 mods coming out.
If 1.9 was months away I would agree. But I for one am happy to wait for the "new world" which should not be too far away!

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

the main argument I see is that the seed we are using makes our world an island in 1.9. letting it expand now solves the overcrowding problem we have, and gives us a larger area around spawn (that is not completely ocean)
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

I think we should wait for 1.9 because it shouldn't be far off... and then we'll know for sure if the newly generated land is inconvenient or not.

The test you ran, was it surrounded on all sides by water? The test Sorontar did only one side became water (golfcourse side), which I think is easily dealt with by sculping the cliff so it's blending is more even. Some people have made awesome water-based constructions... so I don't think having water around spawn is necessarily a bad thing.

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 673

Inspired

The seed calculation is different in 1.9, so wouldn't expanding borders now make the variable border impractically large when we roll over to 1.9?

EDIT: Hmm.. I must have scrolled past some stuff by accident cause I only saw the first reply. :O Yes - we don't know if pre-release seed generations were final yet, so have to wait for 1.9 to see how truly practical or impractical it is?

Last edited by BlackD; 6th October 2011 at 02:11 PM.
BlackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9172

Perhaps to help the discussion, admins should:
  • make a copy of Sanctuary
  • render a restricted map of this world with the circular map border extended to 710 blocks from world centre (no need to change the actual border, just the mapconfig file),
  • trim the copy to 500 blocks from the world centre or spawn
  • run the copied world with a copy of prerelease 3 of 1.9 (proposed to be released tonight), and fly around the border of this copy.
  • render a full map of the copied world
  • prune the copy to 250 blocks from world center, wander around the border of this copy, using pre3 of 1.9.
  • render a full map of the "slightly expanded" copy of Sanctuary
and put a pic of the three maps here so people can see. Or maybe not, this is a lot more work than I thought it would be when I started writing this (and as I said, we don't know whether the generation will be different for the final 1.9).

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I'm happy to wait for 1.9 unless it is months away. I'm also happy to start over instead of porting in the 1.8 stuff.
Old 6th October 2011, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4012

Cheeky

presumably we're talking a matter of days now until 1.9..... (though then there are the mods to update, but surely it's a small update so that shouldn't take too long...)

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 920

Considering there is another pre-release tomorrow then 1.9 full is presumably at least a week away.