Perhaps to help the discussion, admins should:
- make a copy of Sanctuary
- render a restricted map of this world with the circular map border extended to 710 blocks from world centre (no need to change the actual border, just the mapconfig file),
- trim the copy to 500 blocks from the world centre or spawn
- run the copied world with a copy of prerelease 3 of 1.9 (proposed to be released tonight), and fly around the border of this copy.
- render a full map of the copied world
- prune the copy to 250 blocks from world center, wander around the border of this copy, using pre3 of 1.9.
- render a full map of the "slightly expanded" copy of Sanctuary
and put a pic of the three maps here so people can see. Or maybe not, this is a lot more work than I thought it would be when I started writing this (and as I said, we don't know whether the generation will be different for the final 1.9).