Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

View Poll Results: Should we generate a fresh new World4 each time we update the server version?
No, keep the same world all the way through 2 10.53%
Yes, but make it a new seed each time 9 47.37%
Yes, with a new seed but let me keep my location and inventory 3 15.79%
Yes, with the same seed as we presently have 1 5.26%
Yes, with the same seed and let me keep my location and inventory 1 5.26%
I don't care. I just want to play! 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th October 2011, 08:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5121

Amused

As this is the best seed i have ever seen, would like to see what changes happen to its awesomeness in 1.9.3, so would vote to see the same seed once, then a new seed for subsequent resets.

Old 12th October 2011, 01:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9194

Okay, it seems that people are happy for a new world with a new seed. This will mean that we (hopefully) will get things like the snow and mushroom biomes closer to spawn so we can explore them. And there will be more animals around spawn.

Also, we won't bother trying to keep inventories and locations, because there isn't a big demand for it, nor is it that helpful for a new world (given the previous discussions about location issues)

However, people are still getting used to the new settings with the existing world, so how about we leave off generating a new world for prerelease3 until say 8pm AEST (10am GMT I think) on Friday 14 Oct. Or is that too late for some people? (and no, I am not running a poll on the start time).

Sorontar

ps. One thought was to lower the difficulty down to normal for our first brand new world, but that is a discussion point, not a decision.

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Prefer normal. Don't mind when we restart. Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 02:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1629

Amused

I prefer hard... but if people are "wusses" I guess normal would be okay
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 05:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 98

Inspired

(I'm unable to vote)
No, keep the same world all the way through (happy to start fresh for 1.9pr3 though)

But then I think I'm getting confused as to whats going to happen with the survival server vs World4
Ultimately I just want a place that I can build on without fear of a wipe (I'd expect 3-4 months at least) Everything else is just different server settings. If world4 is not for that, that's fine with me.
isaac.retox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 05:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

World 4 is the temporary world in place of Frontier (Survival's replacement).... because we won't have Bukkit updated enough to start Frontier for some time...

So it will be wiped and replaced with Frontier when Bukkit is fully ready. which will be less than 3-4 months.

This poll is basically asking if we should wipe and start again each time we update the server to the latest pre-release version. Though I think when this poll was started, we were anticipating a "proper" 1.9 being available soonish and then the step to the "full" release after that... which doesn't seem to be what's going to happen now... They are now talking of doing a series of pre-releases up until the final launch version, and if these pre-releases end up being only a couple of weeks apart, it's not going to give people much chance to build anything. But it does mean we get all the shiny shiny new stuff

Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 09:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1629

Amused

For people who are finding it hard... wear armour! I was talking to MadMax ingame and he was saying it was too hard, I asked if he was wearing any armour: "No, never needed to before"...
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 10:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2004

Asleep

Can we publish the seed after each world death so we can single player there map when the seeds are awesome?
Old 13th October 2011, 11:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2916

Grumpy

Since we're now less than a week from code freeze, how relevant is this going to be? It's going to be nothing but bug-fixes for a month.
Irimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 11:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9194

There might be a pre-release 4 and, as you say, bug fixes, which from what Jens has said in various tweets might include biome tweaks, including for Strongholds. So yes, we don't know how much is going to change, but to truly experience the new changes, having a brand new world is an option.

I with the help of the other mods/admins could make all the decisions on the fly, but I like to hear your thoughts and opinions first. An occasional poll is one way to do this, but not the only way. If we do get a new pre-release tonight or tomorrow night, I think it would be best to generate a new World4. This poll indicated that most people seem to be happy with changing world when we need to until we finally get 1.9.

And yes, we can provide the seeds, but they are random at the moment. You should be able to read them using f3, though Mojang may stop this capability. If they do, I hope they add a corresponding server command. Otherwise, there are tools that allow us to extract the seeds from the data files.

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote