Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

View Poll Results: Should we generate a fresh new World4 each time we update the server version?
No, keep the same world all the way through 2 10.53%
Yes, but make it a new seed each time 9 47.37%
Yes, with a new seed but let me keep my location and inventory 3 15.79%
Yes, with the same seed as we presently have 1 5.26%
Yes, with the same seed and let me keep my location and inventory 1 5.26%
I don't care. I just want to play! 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th October 2011, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9238

Default World4: poll on world generation

Okay, now we have decided what direction to try for World4 (see The verdict of polls on World4), the next question is whether we should start a new World4 each time we change the Minecraft version or not. Vote and tell the Division your opinion. This will be a quick poll of 1 day.

And we *might* be able to carry the inventories and player locations over if we use the same seed each time we make a new World4, so I am adding that as an option on the poll.

And if we decide to generate new worlds, then this includes generating a new world for the pre3 1.9 version. This would be done *after* this poll, so a day after the actual change to the version. This will give you at least a day to play pre3 1.9 in "familiar" surroundings.

Sorontar

Last edited by Sorontar; 11th October 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add last paragraph
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th October 2011, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused

I am not responding to many polls at the moment because I don't have a definitive view. I did vote for a new seed even though this is an awesome one. Someone pointed out seeds will change in the new releases so possibly no point in retaining this one.

If we aren't guaranteed to keep stuff that is built (for at least a few months), then I won't build much, and mainly explore, so changing seeds are good for me under those circumstances.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
If we aren't guaranteed to keep stuff that is built (for at least a few months), then I won't build much, and mainly explore, so changing seeds are good for me under those circumstances.
This.
Until the Frontier server is fully realised, there's not much point in building massive constructions. Exploration with a new seed will be much more enjoyable.

I voted for "new seed and keep inventory," because I don't want to spend hours in every new world having to find diamonds. Once we go Frontier, new inventory.
It would be a good idea to make a post on here saying exactly when each new test realm will switch over so that people have a deadline for "take everything out of your chests that you want to keep."
Samah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The problem is that last night Jens said that the next full update might not be until Minecon in November (cf Features of 1.9). Therefore, on that basis I imagine we won't have Frontier as such until then. Therefore, I very strongly suspect that pre3 1.9 won't be the last pre-release. While I am happy to keep updating this world as the Division (mainly) requested, the issue is whether the world needs updating too. I don't want to have a new poll each time a new prerelease comes out, so I would like a decision made now, so we all know where things stand (and people can decide how they want to play).

Remember that we have no borders so the idea of adding bits to the world as dicussed for Frontier (cf Survival Server Suggestions - Please Comment) isn't an option (and hence wasn't included on the poll).

Sorontar

Old 11th October 2011, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samah View Post
It would be a good idea to make a post on here saying exactly when each new test realm will switch over so that people have a deadline for "take everything out of your chests that you want to keep."
I know. I'll give you a day or so's warning. I haven't tried to keep the player's data entries before, but I think it *might* be possible. The problem will be that your location will be whatever it was on the current world, which may not be near the new spawn (especially if seed is changed).

Sorontar

Old 11th October 2011, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 930

I voted for don't care. I'd prefer to generate a new map with the change over to 1.9, then keep it through the new pre-releases. But it's fine if we generate a new seed each release. I just want to play!
Old 11th October 2011, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5702 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Frankly i have enjoyed the new server with minimal stuff etc. do i want to see my temple of quack gone. no but it will help me refine my style. so i say new seed no inventory. the way i see it if you like the server you will build if not there is always vreative
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
the way i see it if you like the server you will build if not there is always vreative
Well said, if slightly misspelt.
Old 11th October 2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Minecraft
Lethal - Post: 5702 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Lurking

Typing on phone....your lucky to get anything lol
DarkDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Server Admin
Dangerous - Post: 674

Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuck View Post
the way i see it if you like the server you will build if not there is always vreative
I prefer playing with monsters, they're not on Sanctuary, so .. I'll probably play there even if I dislike it.